Last Farewell

There were dragons when my father was a boy. I've seen them, too. I rode them, too. I was only four – almost five – when I saw them for the first time. Mom and dad used to tell stories about dragons in their youth, my sister and I loved these tales and we asked to see the dragons... My parents missed them dearly, so we took a small boat and sailed to the edge of the world.

Of course I don't remember everything; I was too little. But I could never forget the sight of the great scary Night Fury as he approached. I thought for sure he'd kill dad until he started playing with him. I was still scared until the moment his snout touched my hand. And then we flew. It didn't last long, but I could never forget the thrill of flight. My father threw me up and caught me many times, but I wasn't scared. Now, thinking back, I wonder if I could have fallen, it could be dangerous, but was it really? Toothless would catch me, I'm sure of it.

It was a magical day. And it happened a few more times, though not as much as my dad would want to. I know this because I remember a night, a few days after we came back from this first journey to the Hidden World. That night, I woke up in the middle of the night and I was hungry, so I grabbed the dragon plushy dad made me and I went downstairs.

Dad was there, in his pajamas by the fire. He was alone, looking at the flames. He sighed deeply; then, I heard him sniff. I must have made some noise, because he turned to face me. He was crying, I knew it when he started wiping his cheeks.

"Son... You should be in bed." He told me.

"I was hungry... Dad... Are you okay?"

Dad smiled and gestured me to come closer. I think I left the plushy behind or on the way, it wasn't important because all I wanted to do was run to embrace him, hoping I could make him feel better. He put his arms around me and made me sit on his lap.

"I'm fine, Nuffink." He said. "It's just... I miss my friend. I miss Toothless so much it hurts."

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled. "Daddy... why he had to go?"

"Because humans don't deserve dragons... One day you'll understand." He laughed, but it was a meek laugh. "You know, flying became second nature to me to a point I thought I'd live the rest of my life on the air..."

I could feel the sadness in his voice. "It's not fair. I want you to be happy."

"I am happy, Nuffink. I love Berk, I love the people, I love my job; I love inventing... I love my friends, but above all, I love you, your mom and your sister... But I love Toothless, too. I'll always love my best friend. Unfortunately, he's safer there, away from me. And it's okay. Being apart is what's best for Toothless and all the dragons. They deserve to be free. They need it... That's when I learned that love is the best thing in the world, but it comes with a price, and that price is loss. One day, all we love must go. Some days are harder, some aren't. I miss Toothless; I miss my dad... I miss old Berk... I loved them all and I miss them. But now, they must stay only in my heart. And although it hurts missing them, I don't regret loving them."

"Because it was good?"

"It was the best thing in the world." He hugged me tighter. "Love is always worth it."

I was too little to understand then. Now, I do. Now I see my grown children falling in love and starting to work... And I get it. Love hurts, but it is always worth it. That was why I knew I had to do something when my father was in bed-rest, wishing he could see his old best friend one last time. He didn't voice it, though. But I knew what was in his mind when his eyes were lost on the blue sky through the window.

"Zephyr... We need to talk." I followed her through Berk. As the chief, she had many things to do, so it was hard to find time to speak to her.

"About...?"