Chapter 2: Stressing Tf Out

"Class make sure you read chapters 3-8 of Romeo and Juliet because you will have a pop quiz. Also, remember there is a poetry competition. Make sure you submit your material within two weeks." Professor Swish said.

I swear this man's class is intense, but his methods is slightly unorthodox. But one thing I can say is that I respect him because he's genuinely passionate about literature. But, he really be getting on my nerves a lot, but it's going to be worth it.

"Lil, you know you should submit your poems girl. You know you will win." said Mila.

"Girl please. You know most of my poems are very personal and I'm not ready to be that vulnerable and out in the open like that." Which is true. I hate being vulnerable and have people read my shit. Fuck no.

"Lil, you know you need the money. You've been busting your ass in school and working two shitty jobs. At least make some real money off of something you're really passionate about." Mila was speaking nothing, but truth. I knew that I needed to give it some thought. I've been coming up short on rent, but Mila always make sure that the rent is paid in full even if I don't have a full amount.

"I'll think about it." I said. I gave Mila a reassuring smile because I know that she wants what's best for me and she's the only one that has read my material even though I know her crazy ass has been sneaking in my room reading my stuff, but that's bestie for life.

While I was about to walk out of the class, Professor Swish stopped me in the middle of my tracks.

"Ms. Banks may I have a word with you?"

I mentally rolled my eyes because I really didn't want to talk to this man.

Mila looked at me with this amusement written all over her face.

"Sure." I said. With that Mila told me that she would meet up with me before I go to work and I said ok.

I walked towards Professor Swish, anticipating why he had to stop me right before I was trying to leave.

"I'm not going to take too much of your time, but I want to know why you haven't submitted any of your poems yet." he said.

I hate that he knows about me writing poetry because I had to write for his class and he was trying to get me to present it in front of everybody.

"I just haven't found the time." I responded truthfully.

"I understand that Lily. But you're an amazing writer. You should submit your work and plus it will look good as a portfolio when you apply for jobs." he said

I couldn't lie this shit sounds good, but I just don't want to fuck shit up right now. I know I could win a lot of money that could take care of Mila and I's rent for the next three months and pay off some of my debts. My options is looking pretty slim and I'm tired of working as a waitress during the day and a bartender at night.

"I'll submit it in tomorrow." I said.

The professor gave me a warm smile and I left.

I can't lie, I would be honored to see my work being put on display, but I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to speaking on stage in front of a lot of people that will be looking at me. I truly hope this works out because if not I'm going to be pissed the fuck off.

Time for me to go to job number 1. I thought to myself. I hate working at Craft LA, but I make a lot of money in tips. It's just one of those moments where I have to do what I gotta do because I need to get this degree so that I can make more money.

"Hey what the professor wanted with you?" Mila ass is always nosey.

"He basically wanted me to submit my poems for the poetry competition just like you told me to." I replied.
" I told your ass first. That's all I'm gonna say and besides you're gonna win that shit. Don't worry about it." She said.
One thing I do know is that I can count on Mila to always have my back and to remind me of my potential even if I can't see it for myself.
"I hear you." That was the only thing I could say at the moment.
"But do you need me to drive you to work later or were you gonna catch Uber to work?" She asked
"Naw, I'll be aite. I'm gonna catch the bus to work." We parted ways doing our infamous handshake and went off to our other classes throughout the rest of the day.
I probably won't see Mila until the next fucking morning because she might be with her dude Deon at the studio or something.
Even though I don't have a boyfriend, I have my goals and I can sleep better at night knowing that I'm not getting played or cheated on by no dude.
I blasted Jcole song Love Yourz to remind me that everyone life maybe better than mine, but I know I will make it one day because hard work pays off.