Darling

Emmett didn't expect the knock on his door so soon and when Finnegan walked through the door, he knew something was wrong. "Are you okay?" He was wet but it was more than that, he just looked absolutely drained. "Take off your jacket at least" he suggested when he got no response.

Finnegan heard his words and they were all perfectly reasonable but the weight of the day had settled on his shoulders and he couldn't seem to form a response except for "I should go." For a million reasons, number one being that he wasn't going to be any sort of company tonight and if he was going to go into the office tomorrow and make anything happen, he needed to recharge, somehow.

"I don't think you should" Emmett said, slipping his hands underneath Finnegan's lapels and pushing his wool suit jacket over his shoulders. He placed it gently over the back of the chair and still, Finnegan hadn't moved at all. "What's wrong?"

Emmett's voice was comforting and melodic and his eyes showed nothing but concern. Finnegan had wanted to crumple at least three times during the afternoon but had stayed strong. This time he did. "Everything" he sighed, his eyes downcast.

"Have you eaten?" Emmett asked. He had obviously just come from work, his tie wasn't even loosened yet.

"I... no. There were bagels in the break room for lunch but, that's it."

Emmett was surprised by that, didn't the vice president have someone to handle that for him? "I can order you something or I might have leftovers in the fridge. I'm sure I have a can of soup in here somewhere and I always have frozen pizza."

At the word 'pizza' Finnegan perked up a bit. "Pizza sounds really good." It wasn't exactly a healthy dinner like his parents preferred but sometimes you just need what sounds good. Tonight definitely qualified.

"I'll order the good stuff if you're that excited. What do you want on it?"

"Anything is fine" because it was. He would just pick off anything he didn't like.

"Help me out here Finnegan. Supreme? Veggie? Mountains of cheese?"

He was too mentally exhausted to not be honest for once. "I like plain cheese but I'll eat anything." He watched Emmett turn and grab his phone was still standing next to the door when he returned. Emmett gave him a look but he wasn't sure exactly what it meant and then he slowly reached out, gently unfastening his tie and sliding it from underneath his collar.

Expensive silk, no doubt. He placed it with Finnegan's jacket. "Would you like to get out of the monkey suit? I can loan you some sweats." He watched as Finnegan's eyes darted towards his couch and the fuzzy blanket laying across it.

"Just a t-shirt would be great; I'm fine in my boxers unless it'll bother you."

Emmett decided he couldn't possibly be serious. What about that could possibly bother him? "I'll be right back. Sit down and get out of those shoes. They're making my feet hurt."

His shoes were comfortable but the belt he was more than ready to lose and his starched shirt came in a close second. He wasn't sure what to do about his socks. His feet were always cold but dress socks and boxers were a definite violation of the sock gap rule. He took them off and tucked them into his shoes and was just shimmying out of his pants when Emmett returned, handing him a boring t-shirt. It was better than nothing.

Emmett certainly hadn't expected hot pink boxers with ice cream cones on them but given Finnegan's mood, he didn't think it was the right time to make a joke about them. "I don't think it's ever taken me that long to pick a t-shirt before, Finn. I wasn't sure if I should bring out something that I liked, something well-worn and loved, or if it should be like new because that would gross you out. We don't know each other well enough to share clothes yet. I hope this one works."