Chapter Six

Zoe woke with a start. She looked at her illuminated alarm clock and saw that it was 1:57. She turned and saw Richard in the moonlight that was shining through the crack in the curtains. He was sleeping soundly. She didn't know why she had woken but she knew that she just needed to go and check on Daniel. She gently climbed out of bed trying not to wake Richard and crept out of her bedroom into the hallway. She walked to the other end where the door to Daniel's room was and softly opened the door. She could see that Daniel was lay in his bed with his eyes closed. To others he would look like he was peacefully sleeping but Zoe could sense there was something not right. She walked to the side of his bed and tried nudging his arm to try and wake him. Nothing. She said his name, still nothing. She tried shaking him harder and still nothing.

"Richard" she shouted out. After a moment she heard Richard come running along the hall and into Daniel's room.

"Is everything ok?" He asked, the worry clear in his face.

"There's something wrong." Zoe said as the sobs began. "I can't wake him."

Richard walked over to the side of Daniel's bed and looked at Daniel. Zoe was right Daniel didn't look right. He reached for Daniel's wrist and began to feel for his pulse. There was nothing. As Zoe sobbed Richard ran down the hallway again and grabbed his phone from the side of the bed and phoned for an ambulance. They were there within minutes.

Richard held Zoe tight to his chest as she continued to cry as they watched the paramedics work on Daniel until they finally declared that he was dead. The paramedics left them both with Daniel to say their goodbyes whilst they arranged for transport to come and collect Daniel to take him to the morgue as he would need an autopsy to find out the cause of his death.

"What am I going to do?" Zoe asked her tears soaking Richard's bare chest. "He was the only family I had left."

"You have me" Richard replied his hand stroking the back of her head. "I am not going anywhere. I want to be right by your side always." He leaned down and kissed her forehead and she felt Zoe's grip tighten around his waist.

They continued to hold each other in silence with only the sound of Zoe's now occasional sobs until one of the paramedics returned.

"Erm excuse me but the transport for Daniel has arrived" he said. Zoe pulled away from Richard and walked over to Daniel's beside again. She leaned forward and kissed Daniel on the forehead.

"Goodbye Daniel, I love you" Richard heard her whisper. She then walked back over to Richard and put her hand in his.

"Can we go downstairs please" she asked. Richard nodded and never letting go of her hand he led her from Daniel's bedroom. Out in the hallway was the other paramedic and a couple of other men in uniform. He nodded his head to them as they passed and continued to lead Zoe down the stairs and into the kitchen.

In the kitchen he sat Zoe down at the kitchen counter before filling the kettle up with water and turning it on. They both remained in silence as Richard worked making them both a cup of tea. He put extra sugar in Zoe's cup for the shock. They could hear the movement above them as the paramedics began to move Daniel's body.

"He seemed fine a few hours ago as we were telling him all about the zoo" Zoe said staring at the mug in front of her. Richard wrapped his arms around her. He had only known this girl for a few days but he already knew that she had been through enough bad luck in her life to last a lifetime and now there was this.

"The paramedic told me the autopsy will be done in the morning and they will let us know as soon a possible the cause of death" Richard explained.

Zoe nodded. "I know you were only staying with me to help me with Daniel following the accident so don't feel you have to stay any longer." Zoe said. She knew Richard had originally agreed to stay through guilt to help her with her brother and now he was gone. She would go back to being all alone.

Richard looked taken aback by her words. He lifted Zoe's face and brush her hair behind her ears so that she was looking directly into his eyes.

"I ran you over purely by accident but I am sorry to say that I am glad I did. It brought you into my life. I have loved these past few days spending time together and getting to know you. I have never met anyone like you before and I must admit I have never felt like this about anyone before. It is so quick but I am falling for you. If you will allow it I would love to start off by being your boyfriend but I plan on spending the rest of my life with you."

Zoe stares back at Richard in disbelief. Had she really just heard him right?

"Did I just hear that correctly?" Zoe asked.

"I know saying all this is very poor timing but I need you to realise that you are not alone and if I have anything to do with it you will never be alone again." Richard replied.

"Did you just ask me to be your girlfriend?" She asked.

Richard nodded. "You don't have to give me an answer now though, I just want you to understand I won't be going anywhere."

"Yes I will" Zoe said.

"Huh?" Richard asked.

"Yes I will be your girlfriend" Zoe replied. She leant forward and kissed Richard on the lips. They heard movement coming down the stairs so they both stood up just as a paramedic appeared at the door.

"We are just leaving now" he said. "Someone will be in touch with you tomorrow." Richard followed him to the door and showed them all out. When he returned to the kitchen Zoe was just finishing her tea.

"Come on let's go back to bed and try and get some more sleep" Richard said.

Zoe nodded and followed Richard back up the stairs. Richard ran ahead and made sure that Daniel's bedroom door was closed. Zoe didn't need to see all that just yet. Once in bed he made sure that the duvet was wrapped around Zoe and held her tightly to himself. He made sure to keep himself awake until he knew Zoe was asleep and about an hour later once he could feel Zoe's slow soft breath against his chest he allowed sleep to take him once again.