Chapter 9: Boyfriend Draft

Start from the beginning

Marley nodded, not caring as she didn't want any of the glee guys. Amity only wanted one guy, a guy who she was dating, so she also agreed. Kitty saw this as an opportunity to settle the Jake dispute once-and-for-all—there was no way Julie wouldn't get Ryder like she wanted, unless any of the other girls had a death wish. The rest remained doubtful.

"Unique," Bree said. "Don't you want all your friends to stop fighting? Shana, wouldn't you want to not worry about guys while you're busy singing? Harmony... Do you even care about any of the other guys?"

Harmony thought about this. Suddenly she looked up and said, "Okay, I'm in!"

"Great," Bree said, turning to the other girls expectantly. Unique shrugged as though she didn't care and Shana sighed and nodded.

They all turned to Julie. "You know what," Julie said. "I'm outnumbered and you're all going to do it anyway, so why the hell not?"

Bree cheered, jumping in place, and then said, "Okay, today we will select our order. And we will regroup on Wednesday for the actual draft."

"Two whole days to think about it," Julie said sarcastically. "Sounds quite lovely."

"Just choose a number," Bree said, rolling her eyes and handing her the sorting hat. "Don't look at it yet." Julie reached inside and pulled out a number, then handing it to Marley. Marley did the same and the girls continued to pass it around. When they were done, Bree said, "Okay, just like in glee club now. Read out your numbers."

"One," said Marley.

"Are you serious?" Harmony said as Unique said, "Again?" and Kitty exclaimed, "What the hell!" 

Marley shrugged, smiling as she held up her number. "Guess I've got good luck," she said.

"Two," said Unique, also finding it useless.

"Three," Julie sighed. Kitty looked up at her, knowing nobody before her would choose Ryder.

"I've got four," said Bree, knowing this was useless as she herself wasn't very interested in any of the glee guys.

"Five," Shana said.

"Six," said Kitty.

"Seven," Amity held up her number. She was glad Harmony wasn't before her, knowing the girl was capable of stooping pretty low to harm her.

"Eight." Harmony finished, sighing.

***

"A fantasy draft," Ryder said as he, Marley, Sam and John hung out in the choir room after glee club. Marley watched them rehearse—a meeting which consisted mostly of Sam listing terrible band names and the other two declining them. When Marley brought up the fantasy draft, they were all interested.

"That sounds dumb," John scoffed. He turned to Marley and tried to seem casual as he asked, "What number did you get?"

"One," she said proudly. "But it only matters for guys in glee club so—"

"So I guess number two lucked out," said John, smiling and making her blush. 

"Unique," Marley shrugged. "So not really because she's not interested in a glee club member."

"Who's three?" Ryder asked. Marley could tell he really wanted to know what number Julie had gotten.

"Julie," she told him. He let out a deep breath. She could choose Jake without anyone stopping her.

"Great," said John. "So choose Jake then."

Marley gave him a funny look. "Why would I do that?"