( scene four. )

┏━ tribulation.
( SCENE 4 ) ━┛

ISMENE'S heart was heavy as she sat at the long table with her family for supper

ISMENE'S heart was heavy as she sat at the long table with her family for supper. Just the night before, she'd been informed about her dawning union with the Estemore heir that she was all to scared to follow through with. She'd kept silent on the issue all day, not even breathing a word to Jon or Darik, who were usually the first to hear anything important that Ismene had to say.

She'd barely picked at her food, which consisted of rabbit boiled in broth with onions and other vegetables. She never quite cared for the taste of wine or any other mind altering drink, but the site of the full pitcher just an arms length from her looked appetizing with her anxious thoughts holding power in her mind at the present.

Amid the quiet conversing of her dining family, Ismene focused her dark eyes on Darik, who sat at her side. He knew nothing of the secret that would soon be revealed, anytime in fact, and she wasn't ready to face whatever anger he had.

"What troubles you?" Jon asked from Ismene's side. He obviously noticed the change in her demeanor that evening in the way that she'd picked at her food with little interest.

Ismene shrugged. "I'm sure you'll find out soon enough," she grimaced. "It is not light news nor do I have the heart to say what it is. I will put it plainly, Jon, that I won't be here much longer."

He expression falls in confusion and shock. "What do you mean you won't be here much longer?" He echoes her words. "You mean to say you're leaving Winterfell?"

Hearing him voice the inevitable made her heart sink even lower than it had before. How could her family do this? Why would they wait so long to have her wed when it could have been done years before she was a woman grown?

"Starks, listen up," Ned's voice whites the table, pausing to take a sip of wine before continuing. "Your mother and I have an announcment to make."

Bran perked up. "What is it, Father?"

With every heartbeat of hesitation, Ismene felt as if her heart was going to explode. The time had come to face her fate and she was terrified to find out how Darik would respond. She stiffened as her father announced the words. She adverted her eye toward her lap once more.

"In but a day, Lord Estemore will be arriving with his family to Winterfell," their father announced.

Darik's eyebrows furrowed. "Why are they coming?"

"There has been an agreement to combine our houses; Ismene will marry Lord Henrik's heir. The betrothal has been in place for years now and he has asked that we follow through with it now."

Darik's fork clattered onto his plate. "What?"

Their father heaved a heavy sigh and briefly closesd his eyes. It was apparent he knew Darik would react in such a way.