( scene six. )

┏━ tribulation.
( SCENE 6 ) ━┛

ISMENE felt like she couldn't breath

ISMENE felt like she couldn't breath. As the Estemore's were being led away from the courtyard to settle in and be shown their temporary quarters, she felt reality finally settling over her. This was real and this was happening. She never fully grasped that the Estemore's would arrive as her parents had promised, nor did she really think she would ever marry. Of course it would happen, but to her, it didn't seem like it really would. As she watched her intended and his family slip out of the courtyard at the lead of servants, a slight frown formed on her lips.

"I don't like him," her twin brother's voice has her turning. He is standing rigidly, with his arms crossed as he shifts from one leg to the other. A sneer covers his face as he is looking off in the direction that Lukas has disappeared with dagger like eyes."I don't like him at all. He seems rather dodgy."

Ismene shrugs with a sigh. She can tell that the dislike that her twin has toward her future husband was going to be an issue. She loved her brother dearly, but his disapproval of Lukas would be something that would become a bane.

"Darik, I know you do not approve of him," she begins with a heavy sigh. She wasn't even sure if she would be able to convince him to give Lukas a chance or if she even wanted to herself. "I know you don't know him. I mean, I don't even know him. But I hope these next few days will help me understand the man I'm to marry and I hope that you won't make this union a burden on me."

Darik scoffs, his sharp jaw line clenching every few moments as his eyes statues narrowed. "I just don't like him. Just the way he acts, the way he looks at you; you're nothing but brood mare to him. He's arrogant and haughty, just like his mother. Our father is sending you into a life of misery."

The courtyard is nearly empty by now, making their conversation available for any wondering ears. She is aware of the unsettling silence, but she must make it clear that he needed to back off. "Don't do this to me," she nearly pleads, except it sounds more like a demand. "This isn't my choice. I am forced into this. Don't resent my intended for this." His eyes immediately look to her and gleam with a flash of anger.

"I won't promise that I will accept this," Darik mutters with all seriousness. "This is unfair." They stand just a foot apart, Ismene looking to him with a pleading gaze. She wanted her brother to be the one that supported her and eased her worry, but now he was doing nothing but magnifying his anger. "You don't deserve to be sold off like this."

"We both knew this would happen one day," she says, crestfallen. "We knew that one day I would marry and leave Winterfell for good. This isn't something unexpected."

Darik sneers, shaking his head. "It don't care, Ismene," he growls lowly. "Now that it is actually happening, you can't expect me to not show any resistance."