abuse

★

8:26 PM
Your eyes widen when you see what time it is.

Crap.

You place your pencil down onto the desk and rush to the kitchen, hurrying to get everything you'll need to make dinner.

Your boyfriend, Ben, makes sure you know to have it done by the time he gets home.
Usually he arrives around 8:30.
Four minutes.

Today you got distracted by all the work piled up from your classes.

You panic, knowing what's going to happen when he sees you didn't finish.

The sound of the front door opening and then slamming closed makes you flinch. You put the pot on the stove and turn the heat up just as Ben walks in.

He looks straight at you and then towards the table where his food would usually be set up. His jaw clenches. "Where's my dinner?"

You play with the end of your shirt nervously. "I-I got distracted with my homework. I promise it'll be done soon-" His hand reaches out to slap you, making your head snap to the right. You wince and gently cup your cheek that's most likely bright red now.

"Worthless bitch." He mutters, staring at you in disgust. Just when you think that's all he's going to do, he shoves you backwards which causes you to fall onto the hard tiles.

He wasn't always like this.
When you started dating him six months ago, he was super sweet and would do anything for you. That's why you liked him.
Now he's a monster.

You already know how bad the beating is going to be. You've endured it way too many times to count. Each time you hoped and prayed that maybe he'd see what he's doing is wrong and stop.
But that never happens and he's doesn't stop.
Not until you're bloody and bruised.

You flinch when Ben reaches out to grab your wrist. He glares. "Make sure you're here when I tell you to be, or you're walking home."

Last night you didn't get in bed until around twelve. You wanted to stay home today but Ben threatened to hurt you again if you did. He didn't want anyone to get suspicious. To be sure no one does, he forces you to cover the cuts and bruises with make up every morning.

You quickly nod and mentally sigh in relief when he simply lets go and walks away. You take a deep breath and head in the direction of the college library, where you and your friends meet every morning.