prologue i | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐬

The Aegis was spiraling. That was the one thing Elisa knew for sure. She watched as the marble city she once called home was engulfed in flames and transformed into ashes. She heard the screams of the citizens trapped inside their burning houses and the cries of the innocent who were far too young to die. Elisa turned, grabbed her week-old daughter, and sprinted out of the citadel praying that she could catch the one person who would be able to help her.

"Theo!" Elisa cried desperately when she caught sight of the hazel haired guardian in the midst of all the chaos. Theodore Jacobi whipped around frantically searching for the brunette who had called his name, visibly sighing in relief once he saw that neither his wife nor daughter were injured.

"Elisa take our daughter and go!" Theo nearly shouted glancing around worriedly. It wouldn't be long till the attackers found the family of three hiding in the shadows of the woods.

"We will go together," Elisa stated firmly glancing down at her child who was blissfully asleep, unaware of the horrors that were taking place around her, "Theo the least we can do is send her there."

"That is the last place we should send her!" Theo cried leading his family deeper into the forest towards the bridge, "She will have nothing to defend herself with."

"She will have Aloysius," Elisa argued lowering her voice, "Earth is our best chance."

Theo paused looking at his wife, millions of emotions swirling in the pair's eyes. They glanced at the sleeping infant once more until both came to a silent agreement. One that would cause the family to live the next years of their lives in fear, looking over their shoulders.

"We go together," Theo repeated softly before grabbing Elisa's hand and taking off towards the bridge that would transport them to the world without magic. Our world.

The pair disappeared in a flash of light upon stepping onto the glass bridge and appeared again on the rogue guardian's porch.

"Shall we, my love?" Elisa asked smiling softly. Theo nodded and wrapped his arm over Elisa's shoulder as he knocked on the door. The floorboards inside the small home creaked and an exhausted Aloysius Wilder opened the door. His eyes widened upon seeing the couple and gestured for them to come inside already knowing the reason behind them fleeing to earth.

"It's true then," Aloysius questioned although he already knew the answer. He looked defeated as he sunk into a chair facing the young couple, "The Aegis has truly fallen?"

Theo and Elisa glanced at each other before nodding slowly, "We needed a place to stay Al," Elisa said holding her daughter more firmly now, "The whole city has been reduced to ashes."

Aloysius just sighed in response, still in shock over hearing the news of his once home destroyed, "Up the stairs second room to the left, the bathroom is across the hall," he said quietly. The couple thanked the older man and disappeared up the stairs leaving Aloysius alone with his thoughts.

This was the start of a new age for the protectors of the bridge. One that would cause young Theodora to grow up in a house of full secrets and a life built on lies...

✧✦✧

wc: 549