"Hey, I worry. I just don't wear it on my face. I also have faith."

"I'm trying as best as I can. This is my best so drop it." I must have gotten loud because Zack spoke up.

"You alright Sadie?" He locked eyes with me through the mirror.  His earnest query only made me feel worse because now I was worrying him and I didn't want to do that. He looked into my soul and that made me feel vulnerable so I went stoned faced and replied,

"I'm fine." And looked out the window.  I didn't know how I would survive the night, it already felt long enough and we hadn't even made it to dinner.

Dinner at the local Italian restaurant dragged. Somehow I got stuck sitting between Johnny and Zack leaving me with no room to get out easily. I also had to suffer them both trying to cheer me up. It took them forever to bring our food out and  Zack's girl kept giving me an evil stare.

When dinner was done, we headed to the prom at the Hilton Hotel where I sat on the first open table. No one minded because it meant that I was keeping a table safe for the whole group. Johnny quickly found someone to dance with then him and Zack began goofing around.

After several dances, they all sat down at the table and rested. Zack sat beside me leaving his date alone.

"So, Johnny finally told me why you're not dancing. I knew there was something wrong with you in the car. Why didn't you tell me Sadie?

"I don't know Zack.  I guess I just don't like talking about my personal life."

"Personal life? Sadie please, you've always told me about your "personal life" why not now?

"I am not sure. Just go enjoy your date."

"How can I when...." He didn't finish his sentence instead he took me by the arm and pulled me away from the table. Soon we were in the Tahoe.

"Where are we going?" I looked at him frantically.

"I am taking you home." He turned the car on and began to back up. We didn't say much on the way home. It wasn't until we got into my driveway when he decided to say something.

"Listen Sadie, we've known each other for a long time and we have told each other many things, right?

"Right." He was right. He had stuck with me through people thinking I was bullying others. And we did always tell each other things that we hadn't told anyone else.

"Then please just tell me when something is bothering you. I may not be able to help you out of it but I will try to make it easier."

" I know you will Zack. I don't know what I would have done without you all this years." I sprung from my seat and hugged him. He hugged me back and placed his warm hands firmly on my back. We hugged for a while. He finally pushed me away from his embrace and I felt his minty breath against my collar. For some reason it made me feel safe and comforted.

"Go in, check in on your mom and go to sleep." I gasped and remembered.

"You left your date! "

"No worries! I asked Johnny to watch her for me."

"Wow! Okay well thanks for bringing me home. Good night."

"Night Sadie." I got out of the car and he pulled out of the driveway. I went inside and checked in on my mom.

"You are back soon! How was it?"

" It was fun! " I knew this would make her happy so I lied.

"Well I'm glad. But why did Zack bring you home and where is Johnny?

Of course, it was still early and Johnny wasn't here. And obviously she noticed Zack and me out in the driveway.

" I was just tired and wanted to come home."

"Sadie, you don't need to worry about me. I'll be fine. Just enjoy being young."

"That's easier said than done mom."

"I know sweetie, but you should try. For now at least, I know I can count on Zack to take care of you huh."

" Yeah, I guess so."

And until that moment I hadn't realized that Zack did take care of me in as much as he could and always took my feelings into consideration. This made my heart palpitate faster and I felt a strong desire to see him now more than ever and tell him the importance he held in my life.