Chapter Three - Aloo Baat

Start from the beginning

"Sup? You okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"Just taking a minute to appreciate the world. It's peaceful." I said thoughtfully. Hussain followed my eyes to the lights.

"What about the people in the world?" He said in the same tone. I looked at him, confused.

"Like me." Hussain smiled mischievously. I started laughing.

"Hyper phirse hogayi tum? (You're hyper again?)" He raised an eyebrow. I tried stopping my laughter, unsuccessfully, which made him laugh.

"Tum bhi to hyper. (You're hyper as well.)" I chuckled.

"That's because of you." Hussain looked at me and grinned. The comment took me by surprise and all I could do was smile at him. We quietened down and there was a comfortable silence between us.

"Zara." Hussain broke the silence.

"Hussain."

"How come you're here alone? Why are your parents in Pakistan?" He asked me. I smiled.

"I came here because I got a scholarship at the University of Houston. My parents made me apply here first since my khala lives here and it'd be easy for me, having family in a foreign country. I wouldn't feel lonely. Before getting the scholarship, I visited a few times so I was already familiar with the city." I said, leaning to the side with my right hand. I must've looked sad as Hussain looked at me sympathetically.

"You miss them, right?" He said.

"Of course, sometimes more. But it's much easier now." I smiled, looking at the lights. Hussain put his hand on my hand gently. I looked at him and he smiled.

"If you ever feel lonely, you have me." Hussain looked at me. I smiled appreciatively. There was so much smiling going on, my cheeks were starting to hurt.

"So do you have any brothers or sisters?" Hussain asked, taking his hand off mine. I kinda wanted him to keep his warm hand there.

"Yeah, one older brother."

"Look at that, we both have a older brother. Two things in common." Hussain laughed.

"Two things?" I said, confused.

"We both have a older brother and we both get hyper easily." He laughed.

"That's only because of you." I blurted. Hussain looked at me. I could feel my cheeks go hot with redness.

"So we both get hyper because of each other." He smiled. Damn!!! I could hear Jeene Laga Hoon playing in my head while we both looked at each other smiling. I got shy and looked out to the city. Someone put their hand on my shoulder.

"You two are here! Come on, everyone's sitting at a table over there." Shehry grinned, leading us to the tables. We followed him and sat down. Everyone else was just chatting but I couldn't stop thinking about Hussain. He was so sweet. This has to be a crush. I finished my falooda before anyone else and got up to throw the cup away. Hussain took it away from my hands and threw it away with his own as he was finished as well. I smiled at him in gratitude and sat back down. No one had noticed. Hussain sat back down when his phone started ringing.

"Excuse me." He said to us and walked off. Hussain stood near where I was seated and so I could hear what he was saying.

"Hello Mama. Kuch hua? (Did something happen?)" He asked. I couldn't hear what Shaista aunty was saying.

"Don't worry Mama, we're all okay. We'll be going home in half an hour." Hussain said.

"Mama, please don't get so worried. Go to sleep. You know when you stay up late, your blood pressure goes high." Hussain started walking around. He was so cute and caring!