Shiver - Twentieth Chapter

/| Day One-Hundred-Twenty-Eight, Saturday, First Year - October 21 |\

The raindrops tapped delicately outside, in a relaxing, almost mellow melody, but the soothing rain was disturbed by the wind, which was making the branches crackle. The breeze hurled some disturbing shrieks, swirling fiercely, creating some eerie, almost ghostly, howlings. All this disturbing melody was hauntingly strange, adding with the echoes of the rain and the darkness of the befalling night, which added to the mystery of this resonance.

Inside your room, it was safe, but, the dreadful noises were still spine-chilling. Cocooned in your comfy blanket, you hushed a poor, trembling, little boy who took refuge in your arms.

-"Don't worry, little one, I'm right here...", You muttered gently in his ear, smoothly playing in his curly locks. He buried his face in the crook of your neck, still trembling and sniffling after he had been bawling his eyes out in fear.

-"M- monster..." He whimpered, clutching in your pyjama shirt. You tightened your arms around his small body protectively, ready to do anything only to protect this little sweetheart.

Understanding what he was scared of, you lovingly mumbled, "Ooh, sweetie, there ain't no monster out there, it's just the rain and the wind making weird and spooky sounds."

He looked up to you, his brown eyes, still glossy because of tears, looked up at you, trust glistening in them. Curiosity shimmered out of his voice, but still keeping it low so no one would hear, he whispered, "Aah?"

You nodded with a tender, happy smile stretching on your face as you stroked his cheek, wiping a glistering tear in the process, "Yup, plus, even if there were monsters, I would always be there to defend you!" You assured him.

His eyes widened as he gasped, before he exclaimed, surprise marking his traits, "For real?"

You chuckled, amused by his adorable mimics and his childishness, "For real!" You responded cheerfully.

-"You promise me?" He babbled enthusiastically, but still sounding pretty serious. Muffling your chuckle with your hand, you placed the other one on your heart, and, with an earnest tone, you declared, "I swear on my heart that I'll always be there for you, Bubba."

A happy grin lightened his face, but, before he could say anything, a deep roar was heard outside; a thunderstorm has begun, which was pretty rare in the cold season.

He yelped and hid his small self inside of your arms. You giggled, before petting his head comfortingly and softly humming him to sleep.

When you sensed him calming down, you breathed out, "Goodnight, sweetheart...", hoping that he'll fall asleep smoothly and peacefully.

No answer, only the silence, well, the silence disturbed by the low tapping of the raindrops and the lullabies of the wind mixing with the loud roaring of the thunder echoing in the background.

Assuming that he was asleep, and reassured by this idea, you sighed gladly and closed your eyes, exhausted after this tiring day and more than happy to finally be able to rest.

-"Gud night, baa boo..." You heard Bubba breath out, sounding already dozing into rest, before his breathing slowed, as he started snoring quietly.

You gasped, surprised by the timid whisper that emanated from next to you, but your shock was soon replaced by a weak smile spreading on your tired features.

It felt like, just before sliding into a peaceful slumber, he wanted to wish you 'gud night', as he says. Endeared, you pecked his forehead, before permitting yourself, finally, to doze off into a calm slumber.