Prologue

Prologue

Isang malakas na tili ang kumawala sa kanyang mga labi nang mahulog sila sa isang malalim na hukay. For a moment, Alex floated in the air. Brad was holding her hand, and that was enough to give her courage.

Napagibik siya nang tumama ang katawan niya sa katawan ni Brad. He hit the soft ground first, and she fell on top of him. Hindi niya alam kung gaano kalalim ang hukay kung saan sila nahulog. But she was sure that it was a deep tunnel-like pit. Buti na lamang at hindi matigas ang lupa pero alam niyang nasaktan si Brad. Narinig niya ang tunog nang pagtama ng katawan nito sa lupa. But he didn’t complain.

She didn’t know if they should be thankful or not. Naiwasan nga nila ang pagsabog ng isang malakas na bomba pero nahulog naman sila sa isang malalim na hukay. And it was very dark in there. She couldn’t see Brad, but she could feel him. His arms were around her, and she was clutching at him as she waited for her heartbeat to return to normal.

“Alexandra...” His raspy voice reverberated in the pit. “Are you okay?” Nag-aalalang wika nito habang ang mga kamay ay humagod sa kanyang ulo at likod.

Tumango siya. Pilit niyang inaaninag ang pagmumukha nito sa kabila ng kadiliman pero hindi niya makita ang mukha ng lalaki. “I’m okay, Brad,” she answered in an unsteady voice. Para silang nasa loob ng isang kuweba at nag-eecho ang mga boses nila kapag nagsasalita.

“Were you hurt?” He asked with a worry in his deep voice. He propped up, and adjusted her in his arms.

“Nope,” she answered as she shook her head. “Ikaw, nasaktan ka ba?” Kinapa niya ito at hinaplos ang mukha nito.

“I’m okay, Alexandra. You have nothing to worry,” he answered softly.

Nakahinga siya nang maluwag sa narinig. They were sitting on the ground now. “Where are we, Brad?” She whispered as she tried to check their surroundings. But she could only see darkness.

“I don’t know, Alex...”She heard his soft sigh.

Sinubukan niyang kapkapin ang paligid nila. She could feel the hard, compact wall. Bigla siyang napatayo.

“Alex!” He stood up, too, and held her hand firmly. He was afraid like as if he may lose her in the darkness.

Ganoon na lamang ang pag-alala niya nang ma-realize na nasa ilalim sila ng isang malalim na hukay. And it seemed that there was no way out. “Brad, I think we’re trapped!” She exclaimed in terror.

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak nito sa kanyang kamay. She could feel the tension in him, too. And the thought that they were inside a narrow, enclosed space made her feel really uncomfortable.

She was actually claustrophobic. She got it when she was young, when she accidentally fell in a narrow pit. Ilang oras din siyang nanginginig sa takot sa loob ng hukay nang mahanap siya. Eventually, she was rescued. But the nasty incident left a trauma on her. She became claustrophobic. She thought that she had already overcome that phobia a long time ago, but it came back haunting her, and she dreaded it. Her body went rigid, and her flesh started to tremble.

“Alexandra!” Inabot siya ni Brad at mahigpit na niyakap. “What’s wrong?” He whispered in her ear as he tried to pacify her fear.

“I’m scared, Brad...” She answered in a shaky voice. She knew that she was a tough woman, but she felt so vulnerable as of the moment. Paano na sila ni Brad? They were trapped! And the thought that she lost her jacket where her gadgets were securely trapped added to her growing fear. Wala na silang magagamit pa para makalabas sa kinaroroonan nila.

She didn’t expect that her mission could go this wrong, and worst, it seemed that they had to pay with their own lives. Would they die in this dark, oxygen less dungeon? Oh God! She could't imagine that.

She clung at him for physical strength. She was thinking of the worst thing that could happen to them when she felt his hot mouth over her quivering lips. He kissed her with so much passion that almost took her breath away. She kissed him back, and for a moment, she forgot about her fear.

“Alexandra...” He whispered softly as he stopped kissing her to let her breathe.

She filled her lungs with limited supply of oxygen that she could manage to inhale around them. Hindi niya alam kung hanggang kailan siya makakatagal sa ganoong sitwasyon. Kung hindi sila makakalabas sa dungeon na iyon ay mukhang doon na nga sila mamamatay ni Brad. It was a chilling realization.

But Brad remained cool. He was touching her everywhere as he tried to calm her, and sooth her fear.

“If we can’t get out of here, Brad,” she whispered softly as she swallowed hard, “we’ll die here, trapped together...” And she couldn’t imagine that!

“Huwag kang mag-isip nang ganyan, Alexandra,” he hissed as his lips ran at the side of her neck, his tongue licked her skin.

Despite their situation, Alex could feel the rush of carnal sensations in her nerves at what he did. She knew that they could die there, but she just couldn’t stop her body from wanting this man. She moaned a soft sigh.

“We’ll get out of here...”

“But what if we can’t?”She was still skeptical, but she melted when his hand found her breast. He cupped it and squeezed it not so gently. A moan escaped from her mouth as she leaned against the wall. 

His burning lips pressed on her skin harder. “Then, I’ll die with you, Alexandra. We’ll die together, then...”