X.2 | Clouds | Bonus Scenes

Start from the beginning

Behind his back, he felt her fumble with the bracelet. But nothing happened.

"Hm. It doesn't work..." she mumbled.

She loosened the tight lock of her arms around him to check the device. He was about to say 'I told you so' when she looked up at him again and his jaw snapped shut.

"We need to be closer, apparently," she concluded.

"Ally... I don't think this will..."

His voice trailed off as she looked up at him with a fierce stare from her lilac eyes.

It was in moments like this that she was most beautiful to him. When she had put her mind on something and was ready to give everything to achieve it. She was unyielding, unrelenting, and now, unwilling to accept that this just could not work.

And in that moment, he realized that it actually really didn't matter. Perhaps it was impossible. But he didn't care any longer. He would gladly let this woman try to tear both of their bodies apart into subatomic shreds, as long as he could stay by her side.

He could no longer hold back and captured her lips in a kiss, as desperate and mad as what she wanted to attempt. He wanted to savor her, to take things slow and revel in every moment, but he had grown so accustomed to the constant fear of losing her that every time they kissed his hunger for her increased the more he tasted her. He moved one hand up to cup her face, and she leaned against him, reaching up and curling her fingers into his hair. A soft moan escaped her, muffled by his tongue dipping past her lips. The sound reverberated through his body and left shudders of pleasure in its wake.

With a gasp for air, she suddenly broke the kiss, but she moved away no more than half an inch. He could still taste her breath as she spoke.

"Maybe... maybe we should try to get rid of any extra atoms. Maybe that would help..."

She tugged at his shirt, slipped her hands under the fabric and pushed it up, along with a tender caresses across his skin. He didn't hesitate one second and pulled it off completely.

"Excellent idea..." he agreed and pulled her shirt over her head too.

She nestled back into his embrace, as if the half-second of their loss of contact had been too long already. A low groan escaped him as he felt her naked skin against his. His longing was so intense that it seemed to cause every fiber of his being to tingle, as if every last atom in his body longed to be with her. Closer.

Her lips traced a path up along his neck until they found his again, and they continued their kiss where they had left off. His hands took in her form with all the gentleness and care that his lips and tongue could no longer manage, caressing the lean muscles of her back, following the slope of her waist, finally coming to rest on her hips. He slipped his thumbs under the waistband of her pants.

"I think we should better be really close," he whispered against her lips in a husky voice. "To...To make sure..."

"Awfully smart, Doctor Bellamy," she sighed back, already fumbling with the buckle of his belt. "Awfully smart..."

~ ~ ~

"Did you hear? That intern, Baker, messed up the coffee order. He was supposed to get 50kg to last us for the year. He added a zero on the order sheet and now we got 500! Half a ton of coffee beans sitting in that storage room..."

The scientist shook her head in disbelief.

"What a dolt," her colleague replied, sipping on his coffee.

"He's scatterbrained, sure, but seems pretty smart overall," she remarked. "He's just... really bad a math."

"Like most experimentalists." He smirked.