Chapter 28

Ro P.O.V

"What do you mean?," I stare blankly at Luca waiting for an answer.

"This is what he wanted. The war it's begun."

"Luca you're not making any sense. What war?"

"World War III."

My eyes widen in horror at those words.

"World War III ?,"I repeat.

He looks at my father's eyes and then to Julian's, before answering.

"With your mother gone the Southern kingdom will attack. They will stop at nothing to avenge her."

"Southern Kingdom? What..? Dad do you kn-?"

Julian cuts in,"Ro it's a long story. Jus-"

"Cut the crap! I'm done with all the secrets! It's always 'It's a long story Ro. You don't understand Ro'. I'm fed up! Stop hiding things from me!," I scream, releasing all of my frustatration, anger, sadness, and desperation onto the three of them.

They stare at me wide eyed, shocked, probably surprised at my reaction. Luca avoids eye contact and just scratches his head, while Julian gives me sorrowful eyes with an endless frown. My dad faces the caved in tunnel and rubs his face in frustration.

I take a deep breathe, trying to not raise my voice,"Look, I know we're all tired. And hell, we're as good as dead at this point, but I can't go on with all the secrets..... Please just tell me."

Dad turns around, walks towards me and points to several large stones,"Sit honey..."

I do as he says and wait patiently for him to begin. Luca and Julian sit across from us on the floor. When I look at Luca he gives me a small smile,while I try my best to send one back.

"Your mother....Ro she-,"he lets out another sigh, wiping the tears forming in his eyes,"I'm sorry mijita (sweetie) it's just really hard."

I rub his back gently, until he calms down.

"A long time ago the world was ruled by four Kingdoms, the Southern, Northern, Eastern, and Western Kingdoms. You're father was born into the Northern, but jealousy filled people decided they wanted all of the power, so they took over, killing anyone in their way. What you didn't know was your mother's story. She was born in the Southern Kingdom and even though your parents knew the risk, they fell in love. Now your grandfather will send an attack to  avenge her. It will be the start of  World War three."

"Do you see why we have to protect you even more now?", Julian asked anxiously. He answered his own question when he saw my reaction.

"Ro you're the sole heir to Spain, Britain, France, Italy, Mexico, all of South America. Carlos will either want you as his, or dead."

His face is stone cold. I have never seen him this serious yet terrified. I can feel my old impulses coming out. This is where I would hug him and tell him everything would be okay, even though I was the one who needed help.

"Maybe she can talk to him?"

"Are you crazy?"

"No. I'm completely serious. Maybe he would listen to his granddaughter."

"He's never even met her."

"She's the last piece of his daughter he has left. I'm sure he wouldn't just push her away."

"Not a chance we're risking Ro like that."

I can see Luca clench his jaw, trying to hold his tongue,"I'm getting pretty sick and tired of you pushing me aside like I don't want to keep her safe."

"Oh yeah? Tell me. Who knows how to actually keep her safe? Her protector who's known her since she was younger, who knows her fears and dreams, her best friend, or the boy she just met, who kept prisoner, and who almost let her get raped?!!! HUH TELL ME!"

"SHUT UP!!"

Luca charges at Julian, punching him right in the jaw and shoving him to the ground. He swung two more times, hitting his nose and cheek. Julian kicks his feet, shoving Luca off. With all his stregth he aims for his stomach, making Luca clench over in pain.

I can see the blood dripping from Lucas's mouth and Julian's nose. I scream at them until throat hurts, but go completely unheard. I have to do something. I shout at my dad to gran Julian, as I pull Lucas's arm. I walk in front of him and push back, trying to calm him down.

My dad yells,"YA! No sean estupidos!"( Don't be idiots)

I cup my hands around Lucas's face, pleading with him to calm down. He takes quick glances between my eyes and Julian, still clenching his jaw. I think of the only thing I can do to calm him down. I reach up, pulling him down slightly and kiss him. It takes him a second to understand, before he raps his arm around my waist, kissing me with the same hunger.

The moment felt so short, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to do it again, but the shuffling behind us caught our attention. Julian my dad himself out of my dad's grip, sending a death glare at Luca. When he turns to me his eyes soften a bit, leaving no doubt in my mind of how he feels.

He turns his back to us, and after taking a pause says,"It's your call Ro."

I bite my lip as my nerves only get worse. I finally decide what I have to do.

"I need to alert my grandfather, but I can't leave my grandmother alone."

"Then I will go speak with Ricardo. They will take you to your grandmother.", he says pointing towards the others.

"You're leaving?,"I mutter.

He doesn't turn around to look at me, instead only lifts his head slightly towards the ceiling. I don't know if I want him to look at me, or rather him not see my crying face.

"I know he will take care of you...and we need to think of the innocent lives now, not just one."

He doesn't say another word and just walks towards an exit. He is completely right, but Julian has always been with me. He was always a call away, a few doors down, at the lunch tables at school, or at the beach with Maya and I. Now I wasn't going to have my bestfriend right next to me.

Luca gives me another faint smile, pointing towards another exit, leading to the castle. He holds his hand out for me to grab. Once I do, he pulls me in for a tight hug, placing a small peck on my forehead.

I just pray we're not too late.