Chapter 2

We slowly walked up on the porch as the men climbed down from their saddles. I hung my head as Father opened the door with a disapproving look on his face. It was replaced with a smile when he saw the Sheriff and his son behind us. "Why Gentlemen, it's a pleasure to have you here. Would you like to come in?" Father asked as he ushered us into the house. Mother ran from the kitchen with worry written all over her face.

"Where have you been?!" She yelled-whispered."Your Father is going to tan your hides for worrying us like that. We thought you were taken." She cried as she hugged each of us. "Mary, who's jacket are you wearing?" I looked down to see that I still had Jake's jacket on. I quickly pulled it off and ran to the door just as Father closed it.

"Where are you going now young lady?"

"The deputy gave me his coat for the walk here Father. I never gave it back." I explained.

"Well your too late now child. They have already started on their way." He blew out the lamp as he pushed me towards my bedroom. I sighed in defeat as I closed my door. I shivered as the cool breeze blew in from my window. I closed it and pulled the curtains closed as I began to undress of my wet clothing. Slipping into a warm and dry night gown, I slipped into bed with Jake's coat, still tightly around my shoulders.

******

Three days past since then. I decided to ignore that first day and carried on with my life. I began my day with breakfast, then onto my chores 'till the sun began to set. If there wasn't anything for me to do, I would assign myself other jobs to make our new house feel more like home. I was done all of my chores today, so I decided to head out to the pasture with my horse to pick some flowers for the clay vase I had maid. I had found a lilac bush, and picked a variety of purple and white lilacs. he sun was setting so I began to head back. I was listening to a chick-a-dee sing it's "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee." as I began to hum the river song to myself. My strawberry roan mare, Missy, was darting her ears back and for worth as she took in her surroundings. She nickered softly as she stopped. "Missy come on let's go home."

She swung her head back and for worth, as if saying 'no'. A gun shot echoed across the plain while Missy reared up. I clung on to the saddle for dear life as she  took off.  Once I was firmly back in the saddle, I pulled her to a stop. I opened my mouth to yell at her when to voices spoke up. I hopped off and lead her behind one of the edges that stuck out from the canyon wall she had ran to. I quickly tied her to an exposed root and grabbed my hand gun out of my saddle bag. I tiptoed around the edge of the rock until I could hear their conversation. "There it's done. The deputy is injured and will die shortly. Can I have my payment now?" I unfamiliar Male said.

"Why yes, as soon as you say hello to the Devil for me." Another shot rang out. I clamped a hand over my mouth to hide my gasp. Second voice was the Mayor. I slowly slid down the rock until I was hidden, just as the Mayor rode by me. Making sure no one else was there, I dashed out into the gory scene in front of me. A man layed on the ground in a pool of blood, laying on his stomach. I raised over to the body and turned it over; my heart hitching in my throat. I breathed a sigh of relief when it wasn't the deputy. I let out a surprised yelp as a hand came up to my shoulder as he pulled me down to his level.

"Did you see who did this to me?" He whispered in my ear. I nodded slowly as he let out a shaky breath. "I need you to kill that man. He is a cruel soul. He said if I didn't do this job, he kill my Annie." He pulled a pocket watch out, and popped it open to show a beautiful women sitting beside him. "She lives in Brooklyn's Falls. I need you to keep an eye on her for me. Make sure he doesn't touch her."

"Why me Sir. I've never seen you before, and here you are acting like I've known you my whole life?" A tear slipped out of his eye as his breaths became shorter.

"I need you to make a simple promise to a dieing man. Just make sure she knows what happened to me, and that I loved her. We were fixing to get married after this last job, but I can see that it's not going to happen." He said with a sad smile. "Just please promise me!" He begged.

"I will Sir." I sat there helplessly as his breath came in quick pants until his chest stopped rising all together. I closed his eyes as his body went slack. I closed my eyes and began to say a short prayer, when a moan came from behind me. My eyes shot open as I scurried back on my hands and knees as fast as i could. I frantically looked around for the source of the sound, when my eyes stumbled upon Andrew, holding Jake's head in his lap. I crawled over to them to see that Andrew was crying. "Andrew, what happened?"

"Mary Evans? What are you doing out here!? It's not safe! You need to leave." He whispered-yelled at me.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what happened. You both are hurt by the looks of things, it's pretty bad too. You are both going to die out here. Tell me so I can help you!" I demanded.

"We were riding out to on you guys, when we were jumped. A guy came out of nowhere and shot me in the shoulder. He then stabbed Jake in the stomach." I looked down to see Jake had blood seeping threw the middle of his shirt. I swallowed the bile that rose up my throat and focused back on Andrew.

"Let me see your arm." He obeyed as I reached forward. The bullet was sticking out a bit above the skin, so i told Andrew to stay still as I pulled it out. Once it was free, blood came poring out of the whole. I ripped the arm off his shirt, and tied it around his arm.

"Okay I'm done. What about my nephew?" He asked as tears welled in his eyes.

"We have to take him to my Mother. She was a mid-wife in our old town. She'll know what to do." I helped Andrew stand up. I caught the horses as he picked up Jake who was out cold. I held Jake up straight as Andrew slid in the saddle behind him. I grabbed Missy and Jake's horse, and mounted. I prayed that we would make it there in time as we headed home. Oh Lord help me, my Mom is going to have my head.