Chapter 1

No one said anything as we unpacked our belongings from the cart and pack horses. I was still in shock from how rude the towns people of Brooklyn Falls. Everyone made it seem that the Evan's family were a bunch of cockroaches; unwanted vermits that needed to be diposed of. One man even had the nerve to walk up to my sisters and I, telling us to watch our backs, or we would become his easy late night entertainment. I shuddered as I remembered the evil glint he ad in his eye. I grabbed the one bag I had full of my clothes, and walked into the log cabin that was reserved for us. It was only a five minute walk from town, but now that didn't seem far enough from people like that crazy drunk. In my nineteen years, I have never heard of anything like what that man had said. I decided to skip supper, and headed straight for the bedroom that I had picked. This house was so much bigger than our last one; each child actually had their own bedroom for once.

I sighed as i rolled over onto the cold sheets mother had laid out. I pulled my dress over my head, causing my dirty blonde curls to fly everywhere. I blew out the lamp and fell asleep to the howling of the wolves and the nearby waterfall.

*****

I woke up the next morning to the smell of eggs cooking from the kitchen. Quickly throwing on my dress from last night, and giving my curls a quick brush, I rushed out and grabbed a plate from the table. My family laughed as I scarfed down the eggs and quickly washed my dish with water that my sister had brought in from the well. I had a total of two sisters, both older than me. Jenna and Mckenna were twin sisters that had just turned twenty one this spring. Mother hoped that they would find suitable husbands in this new town, but by the looks of things, they would have to keep on looking. I was about to run out the door to go exploring when Mom yelled for me. I turned around and walked back to the kitchen like a proper lady.

"Where do think you are going this early in the morning? You have chores to do Miss Mary." She said as she pointed to the baskets of clothes that were by the door with her fork. Was she serious? We get to move across the country and I'm not allowed to explore our new home. I didn't have a chance to complain before the twins each grabbed a basket, leaving one for me. I sighed in defeat and grabbed the bar of soap, and the basket. We started to hum the tune to our river song from home. We would always sing it when we did laundry in the river behind our house.

All three of us gasped at the beautiful falls ahead of us. The water would bounce off the rocks, then land in the pool at the bottom. I began to sing the words that would forever be engraved in our minds. "Bring me down to the river baby                                                                                                       Take down to the river today.                                                                                                                     I wanna go to the river baby                                                                                                                  So I can wash my problems away

Oh the river, the river there                                                                                                                  Not taking me isn't fair                                                                                                                           Please oh please take me down                                                                                                           So I can recieve the Lord's holy crown."