@BriannaJoyCrump

Today we are in conversation with Brianna, runner-up of Mystic Awards 2018 with the title The Culled Crown 

We have the chat divided into three main segments: Award Impressions, Writer Stories and Personal tid-bits. Ooo, fun right? So let's just get started! 

As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?

"A cat--I'd much rather be napping than writing, but here we are. :)"

What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters?

"I didn't really base my characters off real people. I took some inspiration for Monroe's brothers from my own younger brother, Josh. Uri's character is mostly inspired by my college friends. There's a bit of all of them in her. All the other characters are entirely made up although I personally wish the prince was real. :)"

What does literary success look like to you?

"Literary success is being able to talk about my characters and my plot with confidence and a smile. If the story makes me happy then I consider it a literary success." 

What did you edit out of this book?

"Once upon a time, back before the book was ever on Wattpad, there was a chapter where Monroe visits a nearby town in the Wilds. She buys a dress and meets her brother's fiancé, Ellora Hoffman. Aside from being a good opportunity for world building, I felt the chaperons did nothing for the book so it was axed pretty early on in my writing process. There also used to be a scene where Uri tells Monroe about her history with Dellacov, but I cut that to make room for other things."

How do you select the names of your characters?

"I have a running list of names on my phone that I usually choose from. I get teased by my friends because I actually have two lists, "names I love" and just "names." I have to separate all the names into two categories because I have to like a character name enough to use it for over 400 pages, but not enough that I'd ever want to name a real kid/pet that. Welcome to being an adult and also a writer. :)"

What was your hardest scene to write?

"All the trial scenes. I'd get second-hand stressed from just writing what was happening to these girls."

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

"A month and a half to two months. I can do it in about twenty days if I've got a cup of coffee, nowhere to go, and no one to bother me. But I have to be feeling very sassy to do that." 

What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?

"For fantasy, I typically do no research prior to writing. I may have to Google things every once in a while during the process of drafting, just to make sure I know what I'm talking about. So, for instance, I would have to stop and research poisons while writing scenes about Viera. For historical fiction, I spend around two weeks just researching and getting acclimated to the time period I'm working within. It just depends on the project."

| One place you have never visited but cannot wait to see?

"Hungary"

| Your favorite shower tune? 

"Currently: Happier by Bastille & Marshmello --- Always: Sadie Hawkins Dance by Relient K"

| Do you have any special talents besides writing?

"I can binge watch a Netflix show like a pro."

| Your favorite destination that you have visited?

"Biltmore Estate."

| If you could go on a vacation right now, would you choose a hill-station or a tropical paradise?

"I'd go to the mountains. I love the beach yet somehow hate sand so..."

| Your favorite quote from a book and how it connects with your life?

"Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere. Start by getting something—anything—down on paper." - Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird). All first drafts are bad, the real magic happens in the revision process. Write whether it is good. Write even if no one ever reads it. Put the words on paper. If you aren't writing for yourself, what is the point?

| One cuisine you will never say no to?

"Chick-fil-A"

| Would you rather have your childhood days back or college life?

"I'd like my college life back please. There's nothing better than living down the hall from your best friends."

| Are you a wine or a beer person?

"Coffee."

| If you had to choose between reading or writing, you would rather?

"Writing."

| Something random that just popped in your head?

"If my one-eyed cat steals my pencil one more time I swear..."

| How was your overall experience as a participant of Mystic Awards?

"Very good."

| Are there any changes you would recommend from a participant's perspective? Or is there anything you believe we could have carried better as a team?

"I'm not sure how this usually works, but I would have liked to see the scores disclosed. I got second place, but my book review sounds almost the exact same as first place and third place. I'd like to see where I lost points so I could better know how to improve."

Thank you Brianna for taking the time to talk with us! Congratulations once again and we wish you lots of success as you continue writing! 

Love, Mystics