Chapter 6

13th of Friday

It was 6:35 pm and, as always, Asami and Shinji spent their weekend together often going to the movies or the café, but this particular evening they were unsure as where to go.

No good movie was getting released this week and the café they usually visited was closed for some maintenance work. Hence, they decided to take a stroll around the park for some fresh air.

The same park that they visited last day was totally deserted even then. Normally, young couples would have taken over this place by the time the sun set down, but the news of the serial killer on loose had terrorized the youths.

"What if we get attacked, Shinji?" Asami whispered to the young male.
"So you think I would get scared and hide at my home? Please, you know me better. Besides, what if the killer breaks into our house and tries to kill us there?"

Asami lowered her head and continued to walk as she knew that there would be no point in arguing with him about it. Shinji won't listen to her. He has always been too arrogant for his own good.

They were two polar opposites of each other ー Shinji was the popular student, who was also the vice‐captain of the school basketball team, with many girls drooling over him while Asami was the shy and timid girl who went unnoticed by the opposite gender even when she tried her best.

She was astounded on that day when Shinji came and confessed his love for her. She never could understand how someone like him fell for her, nor did she ever find out why Shinji told her never to disclose to anyone on who confessed first. Asami always thought that maybe he was shy but that was not how he turned out to be.

Whenever they were with others, he would appear to be the most caring lover to have ever existed, always tending to her needs and cuddling her; but when they were alone, he would remain indifferent to her. However, Asami did not care about this for as long as she was with Shinji, everything was blissful for her. Such was her affections towards him.

As the pair walked on the stony path they came across the bulletin board opposite to the vending machine, which was now shrouded in darkness as the overhead lamp‐post stopped working. Despite that, they could still make out the poster warning about danger lurking around the corner. Asami slightly quivered as a sense of foreboding trickled down her spine and a fear of apprehension engulfed her heart.

"Anything wrong?" Shinji asked her.
"I feel like this was a bad idea..."
"What do you mean?"

The girl took a deep breath. "I don't think it was a good idea to go out when we knew it was dangerous. We should have stayed inside. Besides, Haruko had invited us to play video‐games with her...but I declined as I knew you don't like her much and ‐ "

"Wait, what did Haruko tell you?" Shinji's eyes showed a hint of glee, but Asami failed to notice it.
"Haruko invited us both to her house."
"And you declined?" Shinji raised his eyebrow.
Asami nodded.

Shinji's expression dropped in displeasure as he kicked the metal bulletin board out of exasperation. Asami was taken aback by his sudden outrage.

"What's wrong?" she asked him.

The boy turned to her and held her by her shoulder. "Did you even bother to ask me about it?"
"Well, I thought you wouldn't want to..."
"And why did you think that?"
"Because I know you don't like Haruko, so..."
"I...Aargh!" Shinji staggered back in disbelief.

Asami stared at him, confused at what made him so scared. She turned around to face a tall man with a large overcoat and a shabby hat which hid most of his face. But that wasn't what alarmed the two youths. The blood‐stained chainsaw that he carried with both his hands disclosed his identity.

"No...It can't be..." Asami's eyes became moist.

"What a lovely couple," the man said in a hoarse voice. "You know where lovebirds like you deserve to be?"

The two of them took a step back.

The man lifted up his hat revealing a long and pale face which seemed to belong to a sadistic sociopath and a menacing smile which showed no mercy for his victims. He answered his own question through gritted teeth.

"In...Heaven!"

He pulled the chainsaw and the blade started rotating at a dangerous speed. It was certain that anything that would come in this machine's way would be sliced in half, even if it is human flesh.

"Run!"

Asami and Shinji dodged before the bloodthirsty maniac could aim his weapon at their direction. They darted past him towards the rose garden where they thought they could lose him among the high bushes. However, their plan backfired as they found themselves on a dead end and cornered by the killer.

The man gave out a mad laughter. "Poor children, you couldn't even run anywhere!"

Never found themselves in such a dire situation before, the teens were scared out of their wits as the man took long strides towards them when all of a sudden, he stopped.