Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“You okay honey?” my mom asked me as soon as I got into the car after locking the door after Tom and Nick.

“No, but I’m getting there.” I nodded with a reassuring smile.

“That’s my girl.” My mom said proudly.

I grinned and she drove us to the town centre so I could cheer myself up with a lot of retail therapy. Five hours later, I was all shopped out and was sat in the local café with my mom, sipping my hot chocolate, laughing with my mom about old memories. It was these times when I realised how I blessed I was to have such a wonderful mom and role model in my life. I always thought that half of me was missing because I had no idea who my dad was, but I’ve realised that I am much better off without him. If he didn’t want anything to do with me, then I don’t want anything to do with him.

“I remember it was the first time we had watched Star Wars together, and you insisted on walking around with pale make-up on your face and your lipstick just like Queen Amidala’s, and your hair in the most ridiculous hair styles…” my mom laughed herself to tears. I chuckled with her once I reminisced on my Star Wars faze.

“And you had to pry me away from one of the cardboard cut outs of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the toy store because I loved him so much.” I laughed.

My mom burst out into a fresh wave of laughter and took my hand from across the table.

“Oh, we’ve had fun haven’t we?” my mom smiled.

“Yeah, we have.” I smiled back.

She smiled at me before she looked at something past my head, her smile turning immediately into a look of confusion. I turned around and saw Tom, Nick, Allie, Hunter, Ivy and Gabriel standing and trying to calm a very frantic Mr Harris down. I had known Mr Harris since I was about three; my mom used to help him with cleaning his house and buying his groceries and in return, he would look after me whilst my mom was in work. He was a lovely old man who I could never imagine getting angry, which was why I hated seeing him in his current state.

“What in the World?” my mom questioned.

“Mom, mind the bags, I’m going to go and see if he is okay.” I said quickly.

My mom nodded and I ran out of the café and across the road to where Mr Harris stood with my friends. He was gesturing at the new kids and shouting about something.

“Mr Harris! What’s wrong?” I asked whilst going to stand beside him, a friendly face among strangers.

“Ebony, they’re back! Nobody remembers! They left, but now they’re back and nobody remembers!” Mr Harris yelled frantically.

My blood ran cold and I froze. I suddenly realised why Mr Harris was pointing at the new kids. He remembered. He had too!