Chapter 17 Phelps to the Rescue -_-

He said he was on his way from Maryland. I sighed and walked into Brian's room. I sat at his bedside and kissed his furry little forehead.

"I love you," I whispered.

Someone cleared their throat at the door.

It was the nurse. "Hi ma'am," she said.

"Hi," I greeted her back.

She sat down beside me and looked at the baby with a certain warmness.

"He's very beautiful," she said. Then she looked at me and put something in the palm of my hand.

"Your baby was holding on to this when he was brought here.The little guy just didn't wanna let it go during the operation. Umm, I think you might want it."

It was Michael's medal. I fought a sob.

"Oh my God," I whispered. The nurse patted my back and left the room. 

Wow. Brian KNEW Michael was his father. You just can't ignore the obvious signs.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>>>><><><><

He came just as he said, running down the I.C.U. hallway like there was no tomorrow.

"WENDY!" he cried. He ran up to me and embraced me.

"I took the first flight from D.C.," he said, out of breath. "And I tried to get here as soon as possible. If it weren't for that stupid truck, I would've got here sooner-"

"-Michael, it's okay!" I assured him. "It's all right! You're right on time!"

He wiped sweat from his brow and sighed in relief. He smiled at me and noticed I was holding his medal.

"Oh," I blushed. "Brian was holding this... when  he was being operated and stuff, I didn't realize he brought that from the house....."

Michael laughed and took the medal from my hand. Then he put it around my neck and kissed my forehead.

"To Wendy Hamilton," he said, "for being the Best Mom in the World."

I laughed. "What about Ms. Debbie Phelps?"

Michael winked.

I hugged him and then he walked into Brian's room.

He looked at the baby with such a father's love that I couldn't doubt him anymore.

"I'm here," he told the doctor, who nodded and extracted the needles and the tubing.

When the doctor stabbed his arm with the long needle, I winced.

"Wait!" I cried. The two of them turned to look at me. "Michael are  you sure you wanna do this?!"

He nodded and smirked.

"Anything for my son."