2- Preparations

The morning sun came up over the mountains and shot through the small crack in the flap of the tent. Mathias jolted awake when the sun hit his eyes. He knew he would never see the ever glorious sun rise again.

The chill of the cool morning air nipped at his ears and nose as he watched the colours dance around the sky. The bright orange faded up into a light yellow and then to pink and blue.

Something caught Mathias's eye. Circling around the dark orange sky was a wavy shape like a serpent. One side of it looked as if it had split and spewed red adding to the colours. Then a similar shape came straight into the red emanating from the dark orange figure, only, this one was black.

The swirling figures started to ram at each other and with arms sprouting from the figures, began to claw and rip. The battle continued until the the sun was high enough that Mathias could make out finer details. The shapes had gigantic wings that were translucent. The creatures also had human like shapes sticking out of their backs.

The creatures then quickly turned and disappeared from view just as Mathias was taking note of all the details.

Mathias turned and ran to the tent to find Kavren sitting outside cooking a tukad, a small rabbit like creature native to the mountains they were camping on. Kavren took the tukad in a wood bowl and gave it to Mathias. " You look like you've seen a ghost, what's wrong?"

" Saw a two creatures dancing around the sky and I saw they had humans riding them. I think they were," Mathias quieted his voice and leaned towards Kavren," they were, dragons."

Kavren's eyes widened. He turned and looked at Mathias," Go and make preparations to leave immediately! Now go."

Mathias started to leave but was stopped when Kavren asked," Just tell me the colours of the dragons."

Mathias was going to ask Kavren why he was worried and wondering about this but stilled his tongue knowing he wouldn't get an answer." One was dark orange and gold. While the other was black and purple, why?"

" No reason, now go!"

As soon as Mathias was out of view Kavren jumped up and ran through the maze of tents and arrived at the largest tent. He stood in front of the tent for a minute admiring the beauty of it. Bright red and blue swirls with trees painted with stunning realism.

I front of the tent were two rangers who lowered their staffs as they stopped Kavren. " What are you doing? You can't just walk into Guil's tent!"

Kavren pulled both of them, by the necks of their hoods, close to him and spoke in a harsh tone," I am Kavren, and do you know who Guil is?

" Ya, the leader of the rangers."

" No, you're wrong. He is my last relative, my uncle who I may talk to as I like."

The two men got worried looks on their faces as they backed away fearing that they would by pushed on the ground. They watched as Kavren entered into the tent.

Kavren was amazed by the inside of the tent, even though he'd seen it many times before. Plush pillows and blankets lined the interior, with a grand table in the centre and a large wood chair where sat Guil Rangta.

Kavren got down on one knee and uttered," My lord, I have news."

Guil got out of his chair and put his hands on Kavren's shoulders and spoke," What is bothering you? You only come here with awful news. When will you come just to say hi?"

As Kavren stood up he pushed Guil's hands off," As you know I am taking Mathias to So'lin. But he has told me he saw,"Kavren got quiet and checked the tent for other people," A dark orange and gold dragon and a black and purple one."

Guil immediately withdrew and went to his desk were he looked at a map. "Out here? They don't come this far now unless it's dire!"

"I don't know why, but Mathias didn't lie. I know him, and how he is about lying. What shall we do?"

Guil pulled out one of his drawers and pressed a small button in the top corner of it. The bottom popped off revealing a scroll. Guil turned to Kavren, gave him the scroll and said," don't read it until you're in need of help in a battle that you can't win. Make sure to tell So'lin about the dragons, and be prepared for anything. War might be here."