8.) Morning talks

Start from the beginning

And then I felt somebody’s hand on my shoulder. “BWHAAAA!” I shrieked, spinning on my heals to face the intruder, whisk in hand and ready to kick the robbers behind. When I saw Ryder looking at me with amusement dancing in his pretty little eyes, I let out a relieved huff and unplugged one of my ear buds.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He said, trying to hide his laughter.

I scowled at him for about a second before it faded. “Don’t mess with a girl when she’s listening to music!”

He just smiled innocently. “You’re a good singer though.”

My face was so heated, I’m sure the sun was jealous of its heat and I bit my tongue so that I didn’t squeal. Ryder West just said that I was a good singer!!! Even though I was embarrassed to the heavens in back, it was still cool. “Thanks.” I finally choked before turning back to the batter and placing it on the heated pan in small circles. I could practically feel Ryder breathing down my neck. “Is that all you wanted, to scare the living potatoes out of me?” I asked with one ear bud still blasting in my ear.

“No, uh, actually I need to talk to you about Kale.”

At the mention of is name my face tinged with pink and a small smile tugged at my lips. I let my hair fall in front of my face so Ryder couldn’t see the change in my face. “R-really? What about him?” I nearly squeaked. I made sure that I didn’t turn around to face Ryder as I continued to focus strictly on the pancakes in front of me. Flipping them over and pouring new ones in a rhythmic pattern.

“Do you like him?” He asked bluntly.

This made me turn around and face him, shocked at his question. His face was completely serious. Like he just asked me about the weather or something. “What?” I croaked.

“Do. You. Like him?” He asked, slower this time.

“Well, I- Wait! Why would I tell you if I like him or not?” I asked, squinting my eyes into tiny skeptical slits.

“Because he’s my brother.” He said simply.

“So did he ask you to ask me? What is this, preschool?” I snorted, turning back around to face the pancakes.

“Kale didn’t tell me to talk to you.”

“If this is a sex talk, don’t worry. I’ve already had the talk. Three times.” I said, pulling the last of the pancakes off of the pan and turning off the pan.

“What? No!” He gasped in a flustered manor and I chuckled. So easily embarrassed. “Look, I just want to make sure that you aren’t going to screw him over.”

I passed him and placed the stack of pancakes on the table with a loud clink against the glass surface of the table. Ryder reached out to grab one but I slapped his hand away. “Not yet.” I snapped. “And how would I screw him over?” I asked with raised eyebrows as I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at Ryder.

“Well, the way he talks about you, he really- What?” He stopped talking when he saw the gaping, jaw dropped, wide- eyed look I was giving him.

“He, um, he- he talks about me?” I asked with a grin covering my face, along with a heated blush.

“Like you put stars in the frikkin’ sky. It’s obvious that he really likes you and-“

“What?!” I shrieked. “Did he say that? What did he say? Did he actually say that he liked me?!” I squealed. I’m sure my face was the color of a tomato, but I ignored that. It wasn’t important.

“Okay, calm down.” Ryder said, grabbing my shoulders in his large hands and shaking me to stand still. “I’m not doing that girly crap. No way. I’m just saying that he’s my brother and I just want to make sure that you aren’t going to screw him over. Got it?”