Chapter 18: Another game, another meltdown

Rob was still asleep when I woke up. I ended up crashing at his place. I got up and went down to the kitchen to make myself some coffee. About a few weeks ago I complained about how there was always beer and tea here but never any coffee and so one day after that, I came over to a cabinet filled with coffee containers. They were all different flavors and brands. It was kind of Rob being a smart ass but I appreciated that thought of him going out of his way to make me happy. He never drank any of the coffee so it was my own coffee cabinet in his house.

            I brewed a large cup and lit a cigarette. Breakfast of the champions.  I glanced up at the window the viewed the side of Leza’s house, thinking about what I saw last night. I mean everything seems pretty real but maybe for a second my mind is really just fucking with me? I haven’t been able to sleep much, haven’t been eating too much either. Come to think of it, I think I’ve lost some weight too. Maybe I just need a day to try to get back to my normal routine. It sounds crazy after everything that’s happening but it’s very necessary that I try. Getting a little strength back can’t hurt.

            I looked in the cabinets and the refrigerator and looked for some breakfast ingredients. I pulled out some pancake mix and bacon. Haven’t really cooked in a while but why not give it a shot. After all the shit I have been putting Rob through I owe him a lot. At least I can start with a decent breakfast.  I can figure the rest out in time.

            It took about 20 minutes to make a huge stack of pancakes-bigger than I was planning. I had made way too much batter and because I’m a dumbass I decided to compensate by making enough bacon for like 10 people. Marvelous.

            Rob was still sleeping so I started cleaning up my mess leaving the breakfast feast on the table. Every now and then I would poke a pancake to see if it was still hot or warm. I was worried it would all get cold so I thought about putting it in the oven for a bit until I heard a voice behind me.

            “Wow.”

            Rob made me jump.  “Hey, how long have you been standing there?” I asked him.

            He walked over to me and put his hands around my waist as I cleaned the last dish.

 “Well I guess you woke up a bit early.”

“Just a little bit. Wanted to make up for, well everything.”

“So you made a giant breakfast?”

“It’s been a while alright?”

Rob started laughing. He kissed my neck and hugged me tight.

“Nothing says ‘I’m sorry for the supernatural’ than a breakfast feast.”  He said.

He laughed some more and sat at the table, placing a stack of pancakes on his plate and some bacon. I sat down with him, doing the same. Even though we both took about 5 pancakes each there was still a huge stack left. I feel like an idiot.

“These are really good babe.”

“I was actually surprised that you had vanilla and cinnamon.” I said as we gobbled down our pancakes. It actually tasted really good, and I haven’t had a meal like this in a while. I haven’t cooked in a while too.

We finished eating, bellies full, and still more food left over. I decided to just place them in tuber wear containers and save them for later. Rob helped me clear the table and we finished it all off with cigarettes and a TV show.

It was still early in the day, and I didn’t want to waste it inside. I was apprehensive about going inside Leza’s house to change into new clothes. But then I started to think how ridiculous it was that I was afraid of a haunted house. I really don’t wanna be afraid to go inside, even though I had every right to be afraid. I don’t know many people who live in haunted houses or have gone in any, so I don’t know how I am supposed to feel about it. But I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of being afraid.