"Not if you're dead."

Roderick charged at her. The Queen unclasped her hands and blew something into his face.

Roderick stumbled back, black dust blinding him and clogging his throat. He started to feel dizzy.

"Why not take a rest dear, I am sure you will feel better afterwards." The Queen said with fake tenderness.

Everything started to spin. His mind began to feel heavy and his thoughts were weighed down like lead. What was he doing? He suddenly couldn't remember.

Everything went blank.

"Roderick! You out here!" Called Stern. He stepped out into the clearing with all the other elves following.

They all gasped at the sight before them.

Prince Stephen White laid unmoving on the ground while The Queen was holding Roderick up in the air with a dark cloud.

He was unmoving also.

"Let him go!" Daniel yelled.

The Queen looked over her shoulders and saw the seven elves staring at her with daggers in their eyes.

She shot them all a cold, dead glare dripping with icy venom. The elves flinched under her gaze.

She turned her attention back to Roderick. Just then, another figure ran out into the clearing.

A muscled man with light brown hair and hazel color eyes. In his hands he held a crossbow.

The Head Huntsman widened his eyes at the scene.

"Roderick!"

The Queen looked back, surprised. The huntsman aimed his arrow and shoot.

Smirking, she disappeared into a cloud of smoke before the arrow could hit its target, taking Roderick with her.

"No." The huntsman whispered.

"Prince Stephen!" The seven elves ran to the young man side. Roderick's father saw the Prince and hurried over.

-----------------------------------

The seven elves tried to revive their befallen Prince, but he did not respond to any of their attempts; not even a groan.

"He has ingested poison." Patricia said grimly, eyeing the apple. "There is nothing we can do."

The Head Huntsman carried Stephen back to the elves' cottage. The storm has passed and the sun was still up, but never have the atmosphere felt more cold.

"My Prince." The Huntsman shed a tear, mourning.

"I take it you are Roderick's father." Jolly said. "You look just like him."

"That I am." He replied.

The elves surrounded Stephen's body as he laid on their bed. His chest barely rose.

"How did you know where to find us?" Riveria questioned.

"I had aid from the wood fairies who showed me the way." The huntsman answered. "After deceiving the Queen, I went into hiding and stayed hidden until they came to me. They were trying to warn me of something."

"A warning indeed." Jolly murmured, staring with sorrowful eyes at the Prince.

Patricia, who was closer to Stephen, pressed her ears to his chest.

"His heartbeat is slowing." She said, straightening.

"He's dying." Stern stated. Little Peep let out a whimper.

"I failed him." The Head Huntsman murmured. "I tried to save him but my efforts were not good enough. Here he lays dying while my son - " he choked on the last part.

"While your son is now held by the Queen." Monica finished sadly. "I can not even begin to think about what she might be doing to him."

At this, the Huntsman clenched his hands into fists. His jaws were set tight in his mouth, hardening his expression.

"No." He growled. "To lose the Prince is one thing, but not my son. I won't let that witch take him."

"Right." Daniel jumped up, a determined look on his face. "We have to rescue him. He can save the Prince somehow."

"And how do you think that?" Stern scoffed, rolling his eyes.

With a gleam in his eyes, he said, "True loves kiss."

Everybody stared at him. "Huh?"

"Yes." Daniel insisted, shaking his head vigorously. "Remember all the stories we were told about true love conquering all. And that a kiss full of love is magical."

"Get your head out of the clouds." Stern scowled.

"Wait... He may be onto something." Patricia said. "Everything exists in pair, dark and light being one of them. If dark magic doomed Prince Stephen, then light magic might be able to save him."

"And you believe Roderick's love for him may be that magic?" Head Huntsman inquired.

"Don't you." Patricia inquired back. Head Huntsman looked back down at Stephen's slumbering face.

He recalled all the time he caught Stephen and Roderick exchanging meaningful glances and teasing quips. He remembers all the looks of longing on his dear sons face as he stared at the Prince in rags.

He had always known Roderick held some hope that someday, they would be together, despite discouraging that thought. And it was with that hope that Roderick was able to survive the pain of his mother's passing and his father's heavy drinking afterwards.

He drew strength from the very core that Prince Stephen claimed, with the Prince doing the same with his own. The one Roderick claimed.

"Yes." The Head Huntsman finally answered. "Love has saved them both from their hellish worlds and I know love will save them again."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Jolly burst out, his hope renew. "Let get that boy of yours and save his majesty."

"I'm coming too." Daniel jumped up and down.

"Not without me you are not." Monica stated. "You are going to need all the man power you can get - or girl power." She giggled.

"Oh fine." Stern got up. "If y'all insist, then I guess I'm coming too. Gosh know this won't be a piece of cake."

"You all have my gratitude." The Head Huntsman replied sincerely.

"Me and Riveria shall look after his highness." Patricia said. "And I think you better hurry, cause from how his heart beats, we only have today."

The severity of that revelation weighed heavily on everybody.

"Then let us go."