Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"Baked goods," Sirius's eyes lit up as he eyed the contents within her gift and immediately shoveled a cookie into his mouth. She had spent the better part of the previous day baking, not really sure what else Sirius might like.

"So where are we walking?" they were strolling along the street into the village square and Sirius had failed to fill her in on any plans.

"Oh I don't know," he shrugged before grabbing another cookie. "Wherever you want, really. I'm just content to spend any amount of time with you."

"He's a funny man for not having had any children of his own," Marlene muttered bitterly. She had barely seen Sirius in the week that they had been home on account of all his ridiculous rules.

"He's new to all this," Sirius said defensively, "and besides, be thankful that you have someone looking out for you. He means well."

"How could you possibly be okay with this?"

"I'm not. I just don't have much choice in the matter and that's why I gave you the mirror," he smirked. "You can see me anytime you want now."

"When does Lily get here?" she changed the subject. They had arrived just outside the square which was crowded with last minute shoppers and children playing. Marlene had to side step out of the way of two kids chucking snowballs at one another but wasn't lucky enough to avoid getting hit in the side of the head with one. "Ouch. Watch it kid."

"She's here already," he replied. "Don't you two talk anymore?"

"When did she get here?" Marlene scowled that her best friend had failed to communicate this with her but she had to mentally remind herself that she was now sharing Lily with James.

"About an hour ago. I said I'd come get you and we'd meet up somewhere around here."

"Oh that's –" Marlene felt the impact of another snowball at the back of her head. "Seriously these kids need to watch where they're throwing." She turned around to give the kid a piece of her mind but as she was swiveling her face was met with another splash of snow.

"You're such an easy target," James called out to her from his spot across the street with Lily. Marlene wiped the remnants of snow from her eyes to see that both of them were laughing.

"I wish I could use magic right now," she mumbled to Sirius, "I'd pelt a parade of icicles back at them."

Sirius bent down and scooped up a handful of snow before molding it with his hands. "You don't need magic to accomplish that. It seems that Prongs has forgotten I'm the best Beater that Hogwarts has ever seen." And then he launched the ball with such force that it exploded directly into the intended target, skewing his glasses and wiping the smirk right from his face.

"Suppose I deserved that," he called back before waving his hands up in surrender. "Truce?"

Lily rushed over to give Marlene a hug and apologize for laughing at her misfortune. Once it seemed obvious that Sirius and James wouldn't continue pelting each other with snow, both boys joined them and they all headed inwards towards the bustling square, fighting through the crowd as they walked.

"Your parents aren't with the Potters are they?" Marlene asked curiously.

"Goodness no," Lily replied quickly. "They're coming later. Thankfully Petunia and Vernon won't be joining."

"Too bad," Sirius mused, "I'd like to meet this bloke."

"Me too," James agreed.

Marlene was actually thankful they wouldn't be coming. If Petunia had told Vernon about Lily being a witch then it would oust her own magical status to her cousin and she wasn't fully prepared to handle that.