As I continued to watch for any possible danger it was kind of nice to have the dragon for company, but I was also still considering how I would explain the dragon to the villagers or if I would explain it right away at all. While I didn't want them to hurt it, I would also rather not lose their trust. It had been hard enough to get them to trust me in the first place so if I lost their trust, I wasn't sure I would be able to get it back.

What should I do? I thought as I waited for the hours to pass. I thought about it for a while, but I eventually decided that it would probably be best if I tell the villagers and hope they are okay with it. I could certainly protect the dragon if they try and hurt it. Once we get a ship in Narda though I would have to hide the dragon from whoever we get to take us to Surda.

The next morning it seemed that one of the first people to wake up was Roran. That was kind of a relief since he was one of the villagers that I'd gotten closest to and I also thought that he might accept the dragon. It's not that I didn't trust the others, I did I just wasn't sure how they'd react to the fact that I was now technically a dragon rider even though my dragon was still a hatchling.

"Is that a dragon," he asked when he saw it, sounding like he couldn't believe what he was seeing which I honestly couldn't blame him for.

"Yes," I said, certain of that fact.

"Where did you find it?" Roran asked clearly still trying to comprehend the fact that there was a baby dragon lying beside me.

"I replied, "I found its egg a few days ago when I wandered away from camp, I didn't realise what it was until it hatched last night,"

Roran continued to stare at the dragon hatchling as he was trying to absorb what had happened. He finally said, "I guess this means you're a rider,"

"Yes, I assume so," I said.

He asked what I was going to do with it once we got a ship, I explained that since I could communicate with the dragon telepathically I would be able to get the dragon to stay away from whoever we hire to take us to Surda, but the time we make it to Narda the dragon will probably have grown large enough that it could fly far enough away that it would be out of sight of the citizens but still close enough that I could still talk to it. As Roran and I spoke the other villagers were also getting up and now it seemed that I had a lot of explaining to do.

I managed to get the villagers to accept my dragon and despite my efforts to prevent it, we'd lost three people as we continued traveling. We'd almost lost a fourth person, but I had managed to save him when he'd nearly drowned in a Glacier stream. When we finally reached Narda I could barely stand to see the state that the villagers were in. As the food we'd brought with us became more and more scarce everyone had lost weight and some might have been starting to lose hope that we'd be able to make it all the way to Surda.

I could see that Roran was also extremely bothered by how hard the trip had been on all of us and I think he was finding it hard not to lose hope himself. Despite that, we tried to encourage everyone, and we would be going into Narda to try and find a ship the next day. Ever since I found my dragon Roran wasn't the only one the villagers seemed to see as a leader.

They had started to see me differently even though I knew almost nothing about being a rider and my dragon wasn't much more than a hatchling. It had grown since it first hatched, but it still wasn't very big yet. At least now It could communicate with words and not just images and feelings.

At dawn Roran, Horst, Baldor, Loring's three sons, Gertrude, and I set out for Narda. We descended from the foothills to the town's main road, careful to stay hidden until we emerged onto the lane. I noticed that Roran Was gripping his hammer tightly as we approached Narda's gate. I told him to let go of it and to try and calm down. We would be more likely to be allowed into the city if we didn't look like we were prepared to attack someone.