Chapter Twenty:What's Labor Without Drama?

*September 4th*

Iris' POV:
I've been in active labor for twenty-two hours now. I'm still only two centimeters dilated so we could be here for a while. I decided on a natural birth and I think that was a horrible idea. I haven't had a contraction in about thirty minutes, but when I do get a contraction it is the worst thing I have ever felt in my life. That epidural might not be such a bad idea after all, but I'm going to try my best to hold out. My parents, Wally, Mr. Allen and Barry are here and they're all really great. Well Wally is being very impatient.

Wally: UGH! Why isn't she here yet?!

Iris: Wall you've asked us that thirty times already. Why don't you try asking her why she isn't here yet?

Everyone except for Wally laughs.

Joe: Relax Wallace. She'll be here soon enough.

Wally: (annoyed) Soon enough is not soon enough for me.

Cecile: Wally you do know that Barry is the Father right?

Wally: (confused) Yea. Why?

Cecile: Because you're being very impatient like it's your child on the way.

Wally: (annoyed) This is what you call on the way? We've been here for over twenty hours. WHERE IS SHE?!

Iris: Ummmm I'm pretty sure She's in my birth canal waiting for my cervix to open past two centimeters.

Wally: Gross. Too much information.

Iris: You asked.

*Six hours later*

It has now been twenty-eight hours of labor and I've only progressed to three centimeters. The contractions came back and they're more consistent than before. Each one last about sixty seconds. The longest sixty seconds of my life and I'm sure Barry's too because I damn near break his hand each time I get one. Wally was starting to get on my nerves so my parents and Mr. Allen took him to get something to eat and they're going to stop by the house and check on Zoë. I miss her. They've been gone for about two hours. I get another contraction and instead of Barry giving me his hand he pulls me into a hug and rubs my lower back.

Barry: Breath babe breath.

Iris: (crying) I don't think I can keep doing this.

Barry: You're doing great Iris.

Iris: (screams) AGGH!

Barry: Breath through it.

Once the contraction passes I lie back gasping for air.

Iris: (panting) I'm going to lose my damn mind if this child of yours doesn't hurry up and get here Barry.

Barry: Relax don't be so impatient.

Iris: (annoyed/mad) IT'S EASY FOR YOU TO SAY THAT. YOU'RE NOT THE ONE GOING THROUGH HELL RIGHT NOW!

Barry: (mad) DON'T GET FRUSTRATED WITH ME LIKE I HAVE CONTROL OVER THE FACT THAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH IT AND NOT ME!

Iris: (mad) OH MY GOD BARRY PLEEEEASE SHUT THE HELL UP!

Barry: (mad) FINE I WON'T SAY SHIT ELSE TO YOU!

Iris: (mad) THANK YOU!

Just then I get another contraction and even though he's pissed at me right now Barry still pulls me into a hug and rubs my back helping me through the pain. This contraction is worst than the last one. When it's over I can't even lay back. I just hold on to Barry and cry and he holds me tighter.