If you bump into me one more time, I swear to god I'll stab you

This story is like some sort of serious shit post for me. I'm messing around, yet taking it seriously, otherwise this story would've been full on crack. I'm not sure whether to keep personalities consistent or stray away.

*

The apartment door swung open with a force rivaled by no other. At the last moment, a hand reached out to grab the handle which prevented the door from creating a small crater in the wall.

"im hOOOOME"

The shout was met with silence. John grumbled out a string of curses, and kicked off his shoes. He dragged his feet in the direction of his bedroom.

"Guess dad isn't home, weird.." He said aloud, breaking the unusual silence. The raven haired teen dragged a hand through his hair, as he haphazardly tossed his bag to one side. "I don't wanna be home when he gets home.."

His train of thought trailed off until he had an idea.

Shoveling through his drawer, he grabbed his wallet and keys, then walked back towards the entrance of the apartment.

"Cafe it is then!" He started whistling an off-tune song, carelessly yanking the door open. John turned on his heel, locked the door, and jogged his way to the street.

•••

The bell above the door jingled as John stepped into the café. One of the workers, a waitress, looked up from her work. Her eyelashes were thick with mascara, whilst her hair was dyed a pinkish purple with highlights.

John hastily approached the countertop taking long, and confident strides. He scanned the menu, settling on one of the more simpler options.

"How may I help today, sir?" Now that John had a closer look, he could tell that the waitress was really a teenager close to his age.

He drummed his fingers on the wood countertop. "Can I have an Iced Coffee?" The waitress nodded.

"Sure, may I have a name?"

"Oh, right! It's John." He took that chance to steal a glance at her name tag as he slid over dollar bills in accordance to the total cost.

"Sarah? Nice name."

'Sarah' looked momentarily taken off guard, but quickly reorganized herself. "Thanks, but it's fairly common."

John chuckled, relating to the feeling of having a common name. Not that he'd ever complain about it though. "Well my name sure isn't unique either. I've met enough Johns to last a life time."

Sarah laughed as she turned away to start on his sugary drink. John scanned his surroundings out of boredom. The area was strangely deprived of ghosts, making him ironically creeped out.

"John?" Sarah hesitantly called his name, freeing him from his thoughts.

"Right, yeah, that's me."

Sarah handed him the drink, which John took eagerly. "Say, what school do you attend?"

"Im homeschooled."

"Ooh, I guess that explains why I haven't seen you at mine. Well, thanks for the drink Sarah!"

He waved and turned to the exit. Just as he latched his lips onto the straw, an entering patron walked through the door, and smack dab in the middle of Johns path. 

Of course it was just John's luck that his forehead collided with their rock hard chin.

"Bro, what the hell?! Your chin is like a bolder, how the f-"

A closer inspection of the stranger revealed that his recently bought drink found a new home on the strangers chest.

"Aw shit i'm so sorry I-i'll buy you a new shirt or-"

"Even without an unorganized stash of papers in your hands, you still manage to find a way to bump into me."

Wait a moment, he could recognise that pushy voice anywhere. Daring to look up, John confirmed his suspicions. "Wait, fuck, Arlo?"

"Last I checked, that is indeed my name."

Dragging a hand down his face, John hoped his sun deprived cheeks didn't turn too red from being flustered.

"You want me to buy you a drink as compensation?"

*

It wasn't Johns original intention to share drinks with his model-like peer, yet here he sat, across from Arlo. The both of them awkwardly drank their newly bought drinks. Arlo persistently kept his eyes trained on John.

"So, you come here often?" John piped up to break the tense atmosphere, but Johns voice ended up cracking at the 'o' in 'often'.

Arlo chuckled causing John to frown as a deep red flush overtook his face.

"Mm, yeah, I guess so. An associate of mine works here, so I visit them when I can."

"So, your friend?"

"Associate"

"Most people don't visit their associates on a weekly basis, especially when it's not required."

John made sure to add air quotes when saying associate.

"They're my associate."

"Fine! Jesus, Potato poTato"

John slid his phone out of his back pocket and checked the time. The clock read 4:55, which surely meant his dad was back home by now.

"Well, as fun as this uneventful date-thing has been, I've got places to be." John stood up, pushing out his chair while doing so. "Talk to you later, or not. I don't mind either way."

Arlo gave a small nod in acknowledgement. "Sure thing John."

By the time the shorter teen had one foot out the door, Arlo then added, "By the way, make sure to get that binder!"

It wasn't until much later did it occur to John that he never told Arlo his name.

*

I know this much shorter than what I'm accustomed to writing, but I haven't been in the best place mentally. Just be patient, and hopefully I'll be able to update more often.