60 - Unexpected Meeting

Start from the beginning

"Mrs Hamilton, I was unaware that you were in the city,"he remarked, taking a seat on the sofa opposite her. He glanced briefly at the director and was surprised at how apprehensive he looked. This was someone who ran one of the biggest hospitals in Las Vegas. This showed how scary Elena's grandmother was.

"I'm not here for some small talk,"Georgia Hamilton said imperiously. With a cup of tea on the table, her eyes pierced into him and she shook her head. "I do not know what that girl sees in you. She is such a disgrace to the family."

"Don't speak of Elena like that. She is a strong, beautiful woman and doesn't need any kind of approval from you,"Harry returned, disliking the sneer he heard from her voice. As much as he was aware of her power and how she had helped him, he would not stand for any disparaging remarks directed at Elena. The woman was the anchor in the storm that was his life and he had fallen in love with her, more so during the past few days.

Love?he realised, stricken with shock. D-did he just think that? The L word? He must be hallucinating. Y-yeah, that was i-it. But he didn't have to luxury to be distracted. Especially not with the woman before him.

"Really? You know her so well? Then why is she in the hospital right now? Isn't it because of you? She was admitted to the hospital when she was with you and only you. Why is that so, Harry? Why is my granddaughter in the hospital, you waste of space?" Georgia had gotten to her feet and vigorously gestured at him. Her previously emotionless face was gone and replaced with an old woman who was concerned for her family. Her servant was having a difficult time calming her while the director was cowering behind his desk.

The shocks just kept coming. She was worried about Elena? This from the person who had been cold and dismissive of her granddaughter since the moment he had met her in the garden. Despite her unexpected help with the flash drive, no one would have believed she had done so with this in mind. The welfare and well-being of Elena.

Maybe he had been quiet for too long in his disbelief. Or she was too impatient. But before he knew it, a cup was flung to his head. He reflexively dodged and the cup bounced on the back of the couch. Lukewarm tea splashed onto his back but he didn't heed that. His attention was riveted on the livid woman before him.

"Explain to me, you toad, why my granddaughter is in this blasted hospital. I know it's because of the information I gave you. But she wasn't even supposed to be here. Why is she here in the first place? I shouldn't have taken pity on you and try to help. I shouldn't have changed when I'm already in my dotage. I shouldn't have encouraged her. And now she is here, in the hospital-"

Harry couldn't really comprehend what she was saying. It wasn't that his brain wasn't working. It was just that the words and their meanings were so unexpected that his brain was, to put it in technical terms, glitching. Was she berating him because he hadn't taken care of Elena well enough? Not that he hadn't comprehended that previously but for her to put out a forceful exhibition of her concern, he was struggling to take it in.

"My grandaughter has taken up with a fool. A rich fool, which is the worst kind,"Georgia mumbled to her servant. Taking offense to her choice of word, Harry snapped out of his stupor. Glaring at her slightly, he answered her question.

"Yes, she is here because of me. I was the one who pushed her here."

"You have the nerve to say that?"Georgia growled softly, her eyes glinting in cold anger. It was quite a sight to see such a woman lose her temper.

"But we have gotten over that and are slowly deciding what we want in a relationship. In this relationship. So I hope, as Elena's family, you will support us and the boys." His hands curling into themselves into fists, he was waiting with bated breaths for her response. Approval was not necessarily what he was looking for but this felt like an invitation. Inviting her into their lives. Elena hadn't really explicitly said something but he knew she wanted her grandmother to be included in their lives. Of course, he could be wrong but there was a strong feeling that he wasn't.