It is and I do.

Absently I wonder if that’s how Edgar sees himself, as a dark benevolent little creature destroying the beauty of young women.

Maybe he isn’t too far off, either.

Brushing off that disturbing train of thought I make my way around his desk and sit in the large high back leather desk chair Edgar often sits at. It smells of his faintly still though I know it’s been days since he’s been back in here. My eyes wander towards the couch where he bit me, changed me and broken me.

Yes, it was there that I saw him and Josette locked in an embrace that sent me into a spiral of desolation. The vision of a brunette beauty with swirling violet eyes and elegantly draped in red locked into an intimate moment with my mate shimmers into the picture. Locking my eyes closed I push the image away.

I need to focus on the task at hand.

Sliding open drawer after drawer I finally find something useful in the shape of an invitation. It’s an interestingly beautiful invitation as well. The card is small, sliver and embossed with a simple message: Master Gryphon summons you. It’s just four words but I feel anxiety claim my gut.

No, I said I’d be strong and face this head on.

I have to put on my big girl vampire panties now.

I don’t even look up as Tyler enters the room. Instead I just keep looking at the card as I sit back in Edgar’s desk chair. Out of the corner of my eye I see Tyler sit in one of the chairs before the desk but still I keep my eyes on the card. Four words on that damn thing and I just can’t seem to look away from it. Below the four words though is a date, one that is about two days away.

Eventually giving up on the card giving me any smoking gun I look at Tyler. He’s dressed in plain white t-shirt and jeans with his hair in a low set ponytail at the nape of his neck. His face is apprehensive as he looks at me and from the sparing glances he keeps giving to my hand I’m guessing he knows why I’m so on guard around him. Tapping my bottom lip with the silver square I narrow my eyes at the werewolf before me feeling satisfied when he squirms a bit.

“I assume you know what this is.” I begin holding up said invitation.

“Yes.”

I quirk an eyebrow, “And am I correct in my assumption that I was to be kept in the dark about this until it was all said and done?”

“Yes.” He sighs.

“And are you aware that I am not a child but a grown ass woman with the ability to look after myself?”

“Shosh, look, I get that your—“

I glare at my best friend making his words die on his lips, “Don’t even say ‘you don’t know what your dealing with’ or ‘we were just trying to protect you’, Tyler because I won’t buy it. You wanted to be the big tough boys who play knights in shining armor to my damsel in distress but I’m telling you now that, that isn’t going to fly anymore. He wants to see me right?” At Tyler’s hesitant nod I continue, “Great. Then he’ll be thrilled when I show up to this summons.”

Tyler leans forward in his chair with pleading eyes, “Shoshanna, please, I’m begging you, as your best friend and bodyguard, don’t do this.”

“Why? Why shouldn’t I? What are you and Edgar hiding from me?”

Tyler closes his eyes as he palms his forehead in frustration before growling while pushing himself out of his chair. He turns his back to me briefly before spinning towards me again and gripping the back of the chair so tight his knuckles turn white. When he opens his eyes they are pitch black and grave.