Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve (Gavin)

"I don't know what to say."

"Kasper, you'll be fine." I repeated for what seemed to be the hundredth time as we stood in the parking lot outside the bakery. The sun beat down something awful. I felt like my skin might melt and tried not to show how uneasy I was about it shining down on my face as I watched Kasper nibble on his lower lip past my sunglasses. He was looking at the bakery uneasily now. I sighed, then smiled and took Kasper's shoulders in my hands, turning him to face me gently. He gazed up at me and I felt warmth spread through me at those big blue eyes.

"I promise," I assured, stroking his shoulders with my thumbs before reaching up to cup his soft face, "You'll do wonderfully. I'll be back in half an hour to pick you up and then we'll go out to eat to celebrate."

"What if I don't get the job?" Kasper asked nervously, trying to glance at the bakery out the corner of his eye, but I gave his head a little shake and he looked at me again. How someone couldn't hire him was beyond me. He looked just the type to work at a bakery full of sweets and pastries.

He was small and delicate, his hair as black as a raven's feather and eyes as blue as the clear sky above. He radiated hotter than the sun and he looked perfect in his pale blue elbow-length shirt and loose white shorts to match his sneakers.

"You will get this job," I assured, making Kasper stare at me, "I know you will. Go in there and take big deep breathes. Make them want to hire you, Kasper. You've got so many talents to offer them and you tell them straight up."

"But--"

"No buts. Now go on before I catch on fire." I added, glancing up at the sky with a grimace. Kasper blushed, then nodded and stood on his toes, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before he went towards the bakery. I smiled warmly, waiting until he was inside before I turned and went back to the car where Luka was waiting. We got in the car and headed back home.

"We got a letter from the Ajan Clan today," I commented as I went through the mail in the back seat, placing important letters to one side while putting the others in the papershredder on the floor, "They're asking to see my father... I take it, he's probably not in the condition to do so?" I looked up at Luka, who shrugged lightly as he drove down the long road to our manor.

"He's locked me out, sir. Pity. I was going to make his favorite today." He added with a wistful sigh. I frowned, then looked back down to see a letter addressed to... Kasper?

"Who sent this?" I asked, confused as I looked the envelope over for the return address, but the corner was blank. The handwriting was impeccable, almost like a fancy font you'd find on a computer while the stamp was glittery and modern. A strange combination and hardly familiar.

"Probably spam." Luka deadpanned. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Luka, that's email. Not snail mail."

"What is with all this new mailing anyway? I'm pretty sure back in my day, we used horses and paid a guy to take it."

"Luka, back in your day, it took half a year for that letter to reach anyone."

"Not with the suckers I hired." Luka snorted, making me roll my eyes as I looked back at the crisp new letter. I bit my lower lip, staring at Kasper's name. It was someone who obviously didn't know about Kasper and I. They had only signed it with Kasper's first name and my address. Someone knew where Kasper was, but they didn't know his situation. I wanted to open it.

I wanted to rip it open and see who had tried to invade his life, but Kasper wouldn't forgive me for that. He was struggling with trust and I wasn't about to push him onto the opposite side of the seesaw. I had to be patient. I tucked the letter away with the important ones as we drove up the driveway.