Laxus X Reader | Ghost

Start from the beginning

"Alright, have fun with lover boy!" Mira cheerfully waved back, another empty glass already in her hand.

[Name]'s smile stayed on her face, thankful that she had friends who cared for her more than her family could ever. When she took her seat next to Laxus again, she noticed that he had already finished the slice. Perhaps she should've bought more. He definitely finished the cake quicker than she anticipated. As she reached to clean up, he was quick to stop her.

"Here," he only said, dropping a book on the space in front of her. The girl blinked in confusion before his actions finally registered in her mind. 

"Laxus! This costed a fortune last time I checked," [Name] stared at the leather cover, unable to look away. Ever so slowly, she reached out to touch it as though it wasn't real. "You didn't have to you know, I could've —"

"Then it would've defeated the point of it being a present,"

Her face immediately brightened and she took the small but beautiful book in her hands with a radiant smile, turning the cover over. "Then I'll definitely cherish it, you're the best!"

➳➳➳

"Hey Freed, is it just me or does [Name] seem a bit off today?" Evergreen quietly whispered to Freed as the Thunder Legion headed towards the guild.

"She does appear to be more on guard," Freed agreed with a nod.

"Right? Do you think they had a fight?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Well they've never had a major disagreement since she came to the guild and he 'took her in'. It's about time," she answered as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. Freed scoffed lightly at her reasoning.

Meanwhile, [Name] was walking in front of them and right by Laxus' side. But despite that, neither of them spoke a word and the blond continued to glance to [Name] out of the corner of his eye, slightly concerned. Where was the usual idle chatter that she always came up with?

He tried to get her attention without being too obvious, but she was just staring blankly at the ground in front of her, clearly lost in thought. His efforts provided no fruit.

"What's the matter?" he suddenly brought up more like a demand than a question. When she didn't hear him, he sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Hm? Did you need something?" [Name] blinked, looking at Laxus in confusion.

"You're hopeless," he rolled his eyes. "You've been out of it since this morning."

"Oh that! It's nothing, I just received a letter from my parents. I was thinking how I should reply," she was quick to give him smile.

"Where is it?"

"It's back at our house. I didn't think it was necessary,"

He looked at her suspiciously for a second before he nodded. "You don't have to go back if you don't want to," he reminded.

"Don't worry, I won't," [Name] assured with her smile. "Fairy Tail is more of my family than they ever were."

"As long as you know," Laxus showed her a slight smile, reaching his hand out from underneath his coat to ruffle her hair sightly.