Chapter 4

It's been a week since I met the boy from the courtyard and yet, I couldn't get his warning out of my head. I was still having the nightmares. I couldn't seem to stop them and when I did have one, I would wake from my dreams with sweat dripping from my body, feeling shaken to my very core. I didn't always remember what they were about but they always left me feeling like danger was coming.  They were different every time but the one thing each dream shared were those creatures and their sinister eyes. Truth be told I've grown scared to sleep.

Since meeting that boy, those feelings I tried to dismiss grew more frequent. I knew to heed his warning. So I stayed completely away from the woods. Several nights ago just after I awoke in the middle of the night to one of my nightmares. My father came in to comfort me but I hated seeing the worry in his eyes. I wanted to tell him all my worries and fears but I didn't really understand it myself. So how could I explain what I've been seeing? I knew he wouldn't believe me anyway. So instead I just kept quiet. If felt safer that way.

I guess, I really didn't need to say anything because the next words out of his mouth were ones I didn't expect. I guess, my father was more observant then I thought. He saw the way I stared at the woods around our house. He saw the fear in my eyes. So, He made me promise to try to find the good in this place and I did what any daughter would do. I agreed even though I didn't know if it was possible.

That was three days ago and truth be told I haven't been sleeping. I didn't want my dad to worry. So I decided I was just being paranoid and told myself that even though I couldn't dismiss my feeling I was going to pretend I could.

It took the whole week to unpack everything and get the house set up. Not going to lie, it doesn't look half bad. Today was dad's first day at his new job. He was still going to work in the middle of the night but today he was going to be gone for the full day, for training purposes.

It was just passed 12 in the afternoon when dad came down with his new uniform. He stood before me with a baby blue button up shirt and black work pants. He had a gun strapped to his belt. It still never ceased to shock me when dad carried his gun.

"So Adds, I'll be back late today. Are you going to be fine for the day?" My father said with a smile as he placed his badge upon his shirt.

"Of course dad, I told you. I'm not a child. I'll be just fine." I said walking behind the counter to grab a glass from the cupboard. I poured my dad a glass of orange juice. Making him smile instantly.

"Yeah, I guess you're not a kid anymore. Well, I am off. If you need anything call me. There's cash on my side table if you want to order pizza. Stay out of trouble." My dad said rushing out of the house. I sighed wondering what I was going to do for the day.

I yawned, feeling tired. So I decided to take a shower to try to wake myself up but if anything it made me even more tired than I already was. I got dress wearing my favorite jean shorts and a black flowing tank top with spaghetti straps. I thought I would go out and look around. My hair was placed up in a high ponytail with little tendrils scattered around and a light amount of eyeliner and mascara to bring out my bright eyes.

I still hadn't gotten the chance to see my new home town and since I made a promise. It was time to look at the bright side of things and stop being so paranoid. I hated to admit it but maybe my father was right. I was never going to like this place unless I at least gave it a shot. So without allowing myself to think about it, I took off towards town.

~

I pulled in a spot next to the diner and immediately the smell of food assaulted my nostril making my stomach growl. I sat there a moment watching the patrons busy around within the diner. This place seemed so intimate, everyone knew each other. I couldn't help but smile at the way everyone laughed and talked with each other. It was kind of nice.