The Birthday Girl

"Happy birthday!" I slowly opened my eyes but I could only see a blur so I rubbed them. I opened them completely to see my little 6 year old sister holding a small box, on her face was plastered a toothy smile. The box was wrapped in a white paper with quarter sized dots in different colors and had a red bow on top.

I sat up and smiled as she sat next to me, putting the box on the night stand, and hugged me. "Good morning, sister!" I smiled even bigger at those words. She has always called me sister and its adorable, just like her. Its rare, the times she would calls me by my name. "Good morning to you too lovely. And thank you." I said hugging her back. We pulled away and she turned to get the box. "I hope you like it, I used my piggy bank for it. I didn't have much so its simple but pretty, like you." She said looking at the box and then at me. "Aww, Stacy. You shouldn't have done this. You could have used that money for toys or candy." I said a bit sad that she used her money but happy that she actually made a gesture like that for me. "But I love you and you deserve the best I have. And what's better then money to buy pretty things?" She said referring to the present. I chuckled. "Your too damn cute. I love you too." I said caressing her cheek. I took the box in my hands, it was heavy, yet didn't weigh much. It was like a bottle filled with water. I took the cap off and saw what was inside, a beautiful ceramic jewelry storage cup. It was a pearl white and had purple and fuchsia roses in a pattern all the way around the cup. On the cap was some same colored roses with minty green leaves. The designs and colors were balanced. It was simple yet beautiful, it was perfect. "Oh Stace, its amazing. Thank you so much." I put it down on the night stand on my side of the bed and gave her a bear hug. She was smiling big and so was I. Why wouldn't I smile? I have the best sister there ever will be. "Where's mom?" I asked curious that she wasn't here too. "Oh, I almost forgot! She is in the living room and wanted you to come down when you saw my present, and since you already saw it you should get going." She said poking my shoulder. I laughed at her cuteness as I stood up and started my way downstairs, still in my blue duckling pajamas. Its amazing to see how a little baby girl, weaker then the average new born, has grown to be so big, healthy and beautiful. When mom was 7 months pregnant with her, my stepdad got home drunk one day and started to beat mom, causing the baby to want to come out a few hours later. It was dangerous because at 7 months the lungs are still forming and if she didn't stay in she would have to spend some time hooked up to a machine, and that's exactly what happened. She was so fragile. After that my stepdad went to prison for god knows how long, I just know he still isn't out and it's been 6 years.

When I got to the living room i saw mom looking at me with a big smile on her face and a round cake in her hands. " Happy 17th Birthday Lexy! I wish you the best day you may have so that you can be able to celebrate such a special day happily." She said putting the cake on the center table in front of the couch. I walked towards her with a huge smile and hugged her tightly. She hugged back and we pulled away. "We love you!" Mom and Stacy screamed. "Ok, ok. I know you love me but you don't have to scream it in my face." I joked and we all laughed. "I love you girls both. Thank you." I said. We sat down, talked and ate cake for a while. Yes, cake for breakfast. Best birthday ever! We did that for about an hour or so, just laughing and relaxing. "Lets watch a movie." Mom said looking at us both. Her arms crossed on her chest. "Sure." I said. "Yay! Movie time!" Stacy said getting up and jumping on the couch. Her too messed up pony tails jumping along with her. "Stacy don't jump on the couch, unless you have some spare money in that piggy bank of yours to buy another one." Stacy laughed and sat back down. "Oh, but before that I need to give you my present." Mom said taking a beautiful necklace out of her front pocket and giving it to me. I took it in my hands and was stunned by its beauty. It was a small heart in gold with carvings on it. "Its a picture locket. Open it." Mom said holding Stacy with one hand over her shoulder and Stacy's head leaning on her. I unlocked it and flipped it open. It was folded in 3 parts, each having a picture. The picture on the right was a picture of Stacy on her 6th birthday, holding the 2 stuffed dogs mom and I gave her, the one on the left was one of mom on her 44th birthday holding the bracelet and neckless that Stacy and I got her, and in the middle was a picture of the three of us from last summer. All the pictures were resent, from the past months.

A tear escaped my eye as I looked at the pictures. I was overwhelmed with joy to know that I have such a great family that cares for me and I care for them. "Aww don't cry." Stacy said and hugged me. Mom doing the same. I sobbed a little bit. "I love you both so much. Thank you for everything you have done for me." I said and hugged them back.