Part 2, Scene 2 - Past

Hours and miles later, Ilha had shot two rabbits from horseback and tied them to her saddle when movement in the distance--upwind--caught her eye: three riders north of her heading north by northwest.  A thread of unease stirred her gut, and she found herself turning her horse to follow them, instinctively cutting past tree copses and staying close to the hills for cover.

 Where were they headed? And who were they?

She drew up a mental picture of the lay of the land.  It was easier to patrol the Kharachin's ancestral lands now that they belonged to the Eight Banners by inviting the yearly Hunt to take place within them. Her husband had set their camp near the western border of her people's lands with the Qinghai to the west and the Chakhar Gols to the southwest.   Their hunting party had left heading northeast. She had ridden west by southwest.

As she walked her horse she surveyed the terrain, frowning as a copse of trees, both familiar and unfamiliar, caught her eye.  Had she come too far in her enthusiasm?  The border with the Qinghai, at least, had never been rigid, but if she'd strayed too far into another's territory she should have known immediately.

She looked over her shoulder to match up the tree copse with the configuration of hills beyond.  Yes, she was indeed moving into the southern portion of Qinghai Gol lands.  With the winter wolf only just loosening its bite-hold, they might even still be encamped nearby.

She returned her attention to the three riders heading north into the Qinghai Gol territory and plotted her way closer through the terrain.  If they were simply a Qinghai patrol she would double-back without disturbing them, she decided.  But her uneasiness made her doubt they were anything so benign.

As she drew near, the figures coalesced into three men sitting astride shaggy mountain horses. They were dressed mostly in the somber colors of the Gol nations--but by the shape of their hats, the black fur at their hands, the scarlet tassels on the swords sticking from their belts, the brightly-colored sashes around their waists marked them as Chakhar Gols. Not Qinghai. The Qinghai would not wear colorful Gui silk.

Bundles of various shapes and sizes burdened their horses like an envoy.  Chakhar Gols bearing gifts? An official mission, then. And if they were only three and they were riding openly, then this was Ligdan and his lieutenants come to secure a treaty with the Qinghai.  Or at least scout their camp under the guise of an alliance before he led a raid. 

She knew his arrogance well.  She remembered his visit to the Kharachin years ago. He'd come in person bearing gifts, smiles, and wandering eyes.  Her father had not wanted to ally with such a man.  But whether or not Ligdan's offer had been genuine, he had attacked only days after her father's refusal.

She growled in frustration. Ligdan and his Chakhar Gols had yet to attack the Qinghai.  Much of the year the Qinghai dwelt too far north to interest him, so they had refused to become involved or ally with anyone. But now the Hu were more powerful--and more powerful still with the addition of her people into their Eight Banners.  Ligdan must finally feel threatened if he was here at last to seek an alliance with the Qinghai. Or perhaps this was his idea of a preliminary scout for a raid.  In his arrogance--or theirs?--did he think his old trick would work? Their location had sheltered them, but now the Kharachin were no longer his focus. 

One way or another he'd turned his thirsty eyes towards the Qinghai.

Several magpies took flight, startled by the men's passage. Her fury snuffed out in shock as her senses reminded her of the wind rippling over the lonely hills, empty but for them. Now he is vulnerable, the trees sheltering her whispered with her thoughts.

And he has no idea I am here.

At her back, Ojombi chose the moment to stir and fuss. She reached behind her to give him a knuckle to suck and gnaw, murmuring, "Wait a little longer, little fox. We can't let Ligdan get away with this. Not again."  Then, unsure what she intended, she nudged her horse forward.