Love in a Hopeless Place

Another wave lapped up against the front of the boat, echoing the brushstroke as it carressed the page in front. A woman peered out from behind the canvas and looked out at the vast expanse of emptiness before her. It reminded her of a dream she'd had when she was younger. Oh how times had turned. The paintbrush gave a sudden jolt as a dog barked sharply from behind her, sending an unattractive pattern of blue paint across the page. She was about to stand up and give the owner a piece of her mind when something, or rather, someone, bumped into her from behind, sending her clattering to the deck and ruining any chances of saving her important piece of artwork. The person who'd bumped her in the first place fell on top of her with a loud 'umph'.

"Oh my god," the voice said, and she could identify it to be a man. She could feel a wet, rough toungue lick her face and she screwed up her face as she realised it was the dog. "I am so sorry." The man rolled off of her and scrambled to his feet, and she let out a sigh of relief as the weight lifted.

He offered to help her up and she took it.

"That dog needs to be put on a - " she said as she was pulled to her feet, but stopped as her eyes met his. She thought his eyes were more beautiful than the sea she was painting a few moments before. "Er, hi?"

"Hello," the man replied, scratching behind his neck. "I'm Danny, Danny Evans."

"Katie Davies," she replied awkwardly, looking down at her paint-covered overalls.

"So sorry about, you know," he said, gesturing to the dog which was barking happily from beside them. Katie cast a selfconcious hand across her face and rubbed of the slobber the dog had so generously given to her.

"It's alright," she sighed. "I was going to have to repaint it anyways." He followed her gesture towards the broken canvas and his face fell.

"You were painting?!"

"I'm an artist, I was hoping to open a gallery when we arrived."

"Oh jesus!" Danny cursed. "I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, I know, you said." The dog gave another happy bark and began rubbing her head against Danny's leg.