Chapter Three

I walked inside the house, piles of books stacked to the ceiling Neikos following me obviously in awe.

“So your telling me you're the Reaper? The person who takes the souls of the dead and basically kills people?” He questioned giving me a disbelieving look. I sighed my shoulders slumping.

“No you have it all wrong. I’m the Reaper yes. I do take the souls of the dead but I do not kill people they do that themselves. I follow the Devils orders. Hes a jerk but I have to follow them, its in my contract.” I murmured my eyes scanning over another pile of books,

“Contract?” He questioned once again, I sighed. More questions.

“Yes contract. My father sold my soul to the devil.” I mumbled looking at my dusty floor. He kept staring at me.

“Wait what?” He asked, obviously confused.

“Ugh you ask so many questions.” I complained, flipping over a table to reveal more books underneath.

“I swear you have a library down here!” He exclaimed, ignoring him I picked up a book, reading the cover and gently flipping threw it.

“Useless...” I picked up another, “Useless...” A third, and again, “Useless.” I sat down burying my head in my hands while Neiko continued to babble on about my books and my home and more questions I was now just ignoring. The souls wandering around my home silently lurking. A book suddenly caught my eyes. The book was covered in dust and was being used as a table holder, I scanned the side, the title read.

“Ribingudeddo” - Translation, the Living Dead.

I tried to slide the table off the book, only it wouldn't budge I grunted, trying to shove the table off, still nothing I looked up and realized this was my table of useless books, and on top of it I had about a thousand books stacked up to the lights I sighed hanging my head I heard the ghosts footsteps, very faint and very hard to hear, I also heard Neiko talking to himself and asking random questions, not really pointed towards me.

My head hurt, the room was spinning, anger was filling me like it was filling the humans. I shouted at my books and with my strength shoved them all off, they went showering across the room Neiko shouted as a pile of books fell on him the ghosts looked at me startled but said nothing, as if they could. I sighed and flipped the table, shattering the table into a million pieces, I picked up the book and flipped open the old pages, dust flying everywhere, and there was my answer.

“The Ribingudeddo has always been feared by the human race, the believe an apocalypse will happen and the dead will come alive. For years this myth has been written off as a lie until a witch came up with a spell, to control the minds and restore them to the dead, only they will crave human flesh for they bodys will still be rotting, the will continues to eat the human race until they are extincted, then they will begin eating the animals, and soon themselves. Until there is nothing left then they will become extinct also, leaving the earth in its beginning state.

This witch casted her spell and it spread, until she was killed off herself, the Ribingudeddo had no one to listen to and began to eat uncontrollably at each other and humans. But finally the Reaper successfully retrieved all their souls with the spell know as the Sen no tamashī. It pulled all the souls of the Ribingudeddo, but can only be pulled off by a Reaper and her Apprentice.

After the witch had died and the Ribingudeddo killed off the emotion know as Hate has settled within each human and animal, it is the curse, still in our systems. Slowly eating away at us until it takes over.

Time to let the hate spread again.”

Fear settled in my stomach, its true, they are the Living Dead. Its my job to fix this, but I needed an aprentise. Thats were Neiko comes it.

+                      +                      +

We were now sitting outside, my fence gated off keeping the Ribingudeddo; or the Living Dead, Out. I was beginning to get frustrated with the pulled souls of the Dead trying to argue and yell at each other, what was even worse is that they had to follow me everywhere. I had to return them, and soon.  

“How did your father sell your soul to the Devil?” Neiko asked for the fifth time, my shoulders fell and I had to get my job done,

“Listen Neiko I know you don't believe me and you have about a million questions but I have to return these souls, if you really need proof, and to shut up, you can follow me.” I whispered the end, he smirked at me.

“Go ahead Ally. Lets see what you got.” a sarcastic tone dripped from his voice. I rolled my eyes and opened a portal, his jaw fell and eyes popped as I grabbed his hand.

“You coming?” I joked before shoving him into the portal.