Returns

I unpacked - again. Benedict went back to finish filming the next day, but although I was on my own in the house, I was happy to be in it. I wondered around in my dressing gown, playing my music at full volume and talking to Estelle. I'd wake up and go to sleep with a text from Benedict like "Hello wonderful" or "Hugs and kisses for Estelle - you don't need any ;) " 

The day finally came around when I heard a car pull up outside the house. I rushed to the door and threw it open. Expecting to find Benedict, I was little disappointed to see an empty taxi. The driver, leaning on the side of the car, doffed his hat and held out a piece of paper. I went out onto the pavement and took it from him. It was a printout menu for Galvin At Windows, and the familiar swoop of black ink on the back read:

Guess who. Matthew Williamson deserves another appearance I think.

I grinned and thanked the taxi driver, who said there was a reservation for 6 o'clock. So with 20 minutes to get ready, I dashed inside and showered, shaved my legs and put on the exact same outfit I'd worn on our first date. As I locked the door and went down onto the pavement again, the taxi man opened the door for me. I jittered with excitement the whole journey. 

"So how serious are you and Sherlock?" he asked, and I blushed. 

"We've been together just over 3 years."

"He said when he booked the taxi that tonight was a special night." he wiggled his eyebrows at me in the car mirror, sending waves of adrenaline through me. A special night. 

We reached the restaurant and I reached for my purse, but the taxi man turned it away. 

"No need, your guy tried to pay me in advance too but this one's on me. You're both very lucky people and I wish you happiness." 

Half-moved to tears, I shook his hand and thanked him. 

I checked my makeup as I went up in the lift, and the waitor going up with me assured me I looked fine.

"You're breathtaking madam. Whoever you're meeting won't be disappointed." he smiled. The lift reached the top floor and I drew a deep breath. The doors opened and I stepped into the restaurant. The low din of voices and the clink of cutlery disappeared, along with every other guest, as soon as my eyes found Benedict's. He was sitting at the same table, and his smile cleared away any nervous feelings. I weaved in and out of the other tables to the window. He watched as I sat down and held out his hand across the table. I took it and he squeezed it gently, 

"You look even more beautiful than the last time we were sat here." 

"Well that's an achievement considering I only had 20 minutes." I said, cheeks reddening. Benedict chuckled slightly, waving over a waitor so that we could order. 

While we awaited our meal, Benedict moved his chair round so that we were sat knees pressed again each other's. He clutched my hand quite tightly, I noticed. But I didn't mind; that we were holding hands at all was enough.

We barely talked at all. Until the waitor took our dessert plates away, when Benedict turned his whole body towards me and sat up a little straighter. I did the same, knowing that something important was about to be said. His lips parted to speak and I couldn't help gazing at them,

"The expected thing for me to do now is to propose to you. We've been together long enough, we've had our ups and some considerable downs. But I want this to be up to you. What do you want to do? I'm happy with whatever you choose. Pick an adventure, Evie, and I'll gladly join you in it." 

I caught my breath. He was asking me to decide. What else could I possibly want besides being with him for the rest of my life? I let my mind wander, searching for any little fantasy or dream I'd ever had. His eyes, bright blue and expectant, watched me; it was almost as if he could see the thoughts drifting around in my head and was following them. I stopped one before it could fade away and be replaced by another at the front of my mind. Putting my hand ontop of our clasped ones, I smiled.

"Anything I do will be made better if I'm doing it with you. And although my parents took us everywhere they went, I was too young to appreciate or remember most of it. So let's just pack a suitcase and get on a plane."

The corners of his mouth lifted, and so did my heart.

"Where to?"

"Anywhere."