Arrivals

I was coming back home from walking Estelle when I heard shouting at the other end of the street. As I drew closer I recognised Chris's favourite leather jacket with the red bands round the cuffs - just as he swung his arm and made contact with a guy's face. I gasped and scooped Estelle into my arms so that I could run the rest of the way. A proper fight was starting to break out as the guy's mates shoved Chris down against a garden wall and kicked him repeatedly. 

"Stop! Stop!" I cried, trying to pull one of them off of him.

"This isn't your business, lady. This here frenchie's been bad-mouthing us all week so we're here to deal with him." the brawny motorbiker I'd seen in the local pub practically lifted me up and put me 5 feet away, then proceeded to kick Chris in the groin. I winced at his every cry, and eventually couldn't take it any longer. I grabbed one of the men by the arm and put Estelle in them, leaving him looking very confused; I jumped on the motorbiker's back and hit him repeatedly over the head till he stumbled backwards into a lampost. Springing down, I kicked him in the groin - see how HE liked it - took Estelle back from the dumb-founded associate, held Chris by the hand and darted off to our house. 

As I unlocked the door, he started to talk, 

"Wow, that was really something -" I cut him off by pushing him through into the hallway and pointed my finger.

"What the HELL got you into that?!" I shouted, and he put his hands up in surrender. At my raised voice Ollie and Maggie came running. 

"What's going on?" Ollie said, looking at Chris sternly, the way a father would do when their child misbehaves. 

"I just saved Chris's butt from getting seriously kicked, because apparently he's been showing off to a bunch of bikers all week!" I folded my arms and raised my eyebrows, expecting a full explanation. He sighed, and went to take something out of his pocket. A penknife. We all gasped, and he shook his head,

"No no, I haven't stabbed anyone don't worry! I found it, and it looks pretty valuable. Vintage, turns out made in Turkey. I wanted to keep it as a souvenir, but those bikers found me with it and said it was theirs. I was reluctant to hand it over but was obviously scared of what they'd do if I didn't. So I tried to convince them that it was really valuable. They were having none of it, even if it meant they could get some money from it. So I called them idiots for not taking the oppurtunity and they got offended. I didn't insult them further, and handed the knife back. Then yesterday I saw they'd left the pub without it so I slipped it in my pocket again and walked out. And today they were tackling me on the road outside when Evie came to my rescue and kicked their arses!"

Up to then we'd all been listening open-mouthed at his story; Mags and Ollie looked at me, impressed, and I blushed.

"So how come you still have it?" Maggie asked, and Chris said he'd managed to take it back out of the guy's pocket while he was holding Estelle and watching me piggy-backing his mate.

"Right. Well, you don't go to that pub again, you don't stay out too late and you keep that knife in the safe till we leave." Ollie said firmly, and Chris nodded glumly. But then Ollie punched his arm jokingly,

"Pretty cool story to tell back at home though right?" and we all smiled.

Late that night, I was asleep in bed, with my arm hanging over the side to stroke Estelle. Then she started licking my hand frantically and I stirred. Suddenly I felt a warmth on my other side, and arms sliding round me. The familiar smell of his musky cologne confirmed my suspicions and I turned over to face Benedict. He was home.

"Hello." his breath was soft on my face and I felt my cheeks turning pink. I pressed my lips gently to his and his arms suddenly went all the way around me, holding me close. I didn't say anything in return; he knew I didn't need to. Our bodies found each other and Benedict's hand held the small of my back, drawing little circles with his fingers - just the way he knew I liked it. I twirled a curl of his hair in my finger and stroked the back of his neck, just gazing into his face in the dark. Gradually our breathing slowed and soon we were both asleep...

The next morning we woke still curled round each other; I felt his slender fingers stroking my face and, with my eyes still closed, reached up to hold his hand in mine. 

"Good morning." the sound of his voice in my ear again sent a warm glow through me and I opened my eyes, smiling. He kissed me, long and tenderly. When he pulled away there was a tear in his eye. 

"You've know idea how much I've missed you." he whispered.

"On the contrary, I know even better than you because I missed you more." I said, wiping away the tear, and he grinned. Sitting up, I checked the time. It was 7:30. I knew the others wouldn't be up for hours, but Benedict and I got up, ate and took Estelle up onto the heath. 

The sun was just making its way over the city and the air was cool. I watched Benedict's face as he stared out at London. 

"You ok?" I asked, and he nodded decicively. 

"I'm wonderful, I'm positively brilliant." he spoke softly, taking my hand. We smiled at each other, and walked home. 

When we got back, Chris was cooking poached eggs, so we tucked into a second breakfast. Benedict saw the penknife and examined it.

"This is beautiful, where did you find this?" he said to no one in particular, and Chris went over to tell him the story. Benedict looked very impressed at my tactics; when he took a closer look at the penknife, he gasped and waved me over. I read the little words carved into the back. 

'Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, 1925' 

"Oh my god." I whispered, taking Benedict's arm. His hands were shaking slightly. We told everyone, and ended up opening the bottle of champagne Maggie had been secretly saving for Benedict's arrival.

We raised our glasses and Maggie toasted,

"To the Cumberbatches." 

____________________________________________

A.N

The penknife belonging to Benedict's grandfather is in no way a true story, completely fictional. Just to let you guys know. Hope you're enjoying so far; vote, comment, share. Thanks for reading! xx