Chapter Three (written by 'crazybookworm123')

Chapter 3

The boy jogged forward. Me and Lexi exchanged glances before we both ran after him. As we pushed through the bushes, birds flew up and passed by our heads. The boy led us farther into the forest. Ten minutes later he stopped, beside a clump of rocks. He pushed a smaller rock to the side to reveal a tiny hole.

“Ladies first.” he invited.

“No thanks.” replied Lexi.

She pointed her gun at him. He raised his hand up in the air in defeat.

“Okay, I’ll go first.” he said, “Don’t shot me.”

He said it sarcastically, but we all knew she could if she wanted. He pushed the strap of his paintball gun so that it was lying across his back, crouched down and crawled into the hole in the rocks. Lexi waited until his feet had disappeared as well then grab my hand and pulled me away from the hole. I followed her as she found a place around the rocks and started to climb. When we were both at the top she stopped and we both looked over the edges at either side.

“Wow,” said Lexi.

“You can see everything from here.” I finished.

To the left and right we could see the two rivers. They were almost glowing with light. The waves were rolling and twisting around. Ahead of us the lake shined in the setting sun. I could see canoes lining the beach like little polka dots on the sand. Behind us the lights at camp glittered and even farther in the distance, the top of the street lights shined in the glow of the setting sun. If I wasn’t running for my “life” I would take out my sketch pad and draw the entire image out. But we didn’t have time.

“And hear everything.” said Lexi, “Listen.”

“Bloody hell,” said a voice from below us, “Where’d they go?”

“”Is that the guy?” I asked.

Lexi nodded.

“You go entrance, I go exit.” I ordered.

“Stay on the rocks.” finished Lexi.

We split. I walked towards the edge, and when I got close, I got down on all fours and crawled to the rim of the rock pile. The boy still hadn’t made it to this side. I lay down on my stomach and got comfortable. The view was amazing. I rested my head on my arms in wait. This guy sounded like he might take a while.

It wasn’t ten minutes later when he finally decided to show up. He ran a hand through his light brown hair. He looked frustrated. I grinned. I caused the frustration. Sucker.

“Looking for me?” I asked.

He looked up at me in surprise. I think he almost shot me. I still didn’t know his name.

“Can I call you Bob?” I asked.

He stared at me.

“My name’s Jay,” he finally said, “Jay Harvard.”

“Charlotte Hillfield.” I told him, “You can call me Charlie.”

“Charlie,” he savoured the name.

I rolled my eyes. Why did everybody do that when they meet me?

“Is this your first year at camp?” he asked suddenly.

“I’ve been going here since I was eight.” I answered, rather annoyed, “You.”

“This is my fourth year.” he snapped.

God, someone was cranky. I wish that steam would come out of his ears. That would be cool.

“So what did you want to show us?” I asked.

“Where’s your partner?” he questioned.

“I asked you first.” I insisted.

He grits his teeth in frustration, “There’s this harbour,” he finally spoke, “It has this tunnels that run all around camp. If we just found the map one of us could win.”

I thought this over for a minute, “So does this mean you’re asking for an alliance?”

“Yes.” he answered.

“Yes…..” I prompted.

He looked pissed, “Yes please.”

“Aha there’s the magic word!” I exclaimed, “So what’s this map you’re talking about?”

“Well, it’s a map.” he stated.

I rolled my eyes at him, “Where is it?”

“It’s at the amusement park.” he answered.

I raised an eyebrow at him, “That’s sounds a little far-fetched.”

“I think it’s somewhere in the office,” he continued without answering me, “At least that seems like the most likely.”

“You’re annoying.” I snapped.

“And you’re frustrating.” he countered.

“I can’t believe I agreed to an alliance with you,” I mumbled.

“Me and my partner actually.” he continued, “If that’s okay.”

By this time Lexi had appeared at my shoulder.

“What’s your partner’s name?” she questioned.

“Andrew Rosales.” said a new voice, “At your service.”

A blond boy walked out of the bushes at Jay’s side. He had hazel eyes. He was a little bit skinny, but I don’t think anybody would argue that the look worked well on him. I recognized him from previous years. I had heard he was a bit of a player.

“Your timing is perfect as usual Drew.” uttered Jay.

“I know.” he declared.

Well those two were arguing I looked up at Lexi.

“What do you think?” I asked.

She didn’t answer. Lexi seemed to be focusing very hard at staring at someone.

“Lexi!” I whispered shouted, “Lexi.”

I waved my hands in front of her face. Finally she shook her head a little and looked at me.

“Huh?” she asked.

I repeated what I had said before, slightly irritated, “What do you think?”

“About partnering up?” she questioned.

I nodded.

“We should totally.” she decided, “It would be a good idea.”

I didn’t expect her to agree so easily. Hmm…

“So I take that as a yes.” called Jay.

“Fine.” I snapped. That cocky grin on his face was starting to bug me.

“Good.” he contradicted.

Come on Lottie, think of more adjectives to bug him with.

“Decent.” I snapped. Where’d that come from?

“What?” he asked, his head lightly tilted to the side, in confusion.

“We should get going,” interrupted Lexi, “We need to find a place to stay before it gets dark.”

Lexi and I hopped off the rocks. Lexi – may I add – was down much quicker than normally possible.