Chapter One (written by 'crazybookworm123')

by: crazybookworm123

“I’ll see in two weeks, honey.” yelled my mom as she got in the car, “Have fun!”

My dad started the engine and they were off. I turned around and walked over to the giant crowd of kids trying to find their friends. Another year at Camp Kalahoho was starting. A whole three weeks in crazy town. Now don’t get me wrong, I love this camp. But the kids here are weird, the food tastes funny and the leaders are complete goons. But the annual paintball game that none of the parents know about during the last two weeks is fun to watch- but not to play in. Cue the shudders.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned. It was my friend Lexi. I hadn’t seen her since last year.  She threw her arms around me and gave me a giant hug. When she backed away, I smiled. She looked older. Her brown hair had grown out over the year and was now just below her shoulders. Her purple eyes still sparkled with unexpressed glee and wisdom. She was wearing jean short shorts, a black and white striped tank top, and a light gray sweater.

“Lottie! Haven’t seen you in ages.” she squealed.

“Same.” I replied.

“Come on. Let’s go, let’s go!” she tugged my arm and pulled me through the crowd, “Let’s go find our room.”

Maybe I should introduce myself. My name is Charlotte Hillfield. I’m 5’6”, with auburn hair and eyes that are light green. My birthday is in 8 days. I’m turning 16. I love to read and hate anything that has to do with squirrels.

“Here we are.” squealed Lexi.

That’s my best friend Alexi Edwards. We only ever see each other at camp but she’s the most amazing friend anyone could have. She loves every type of music in the world and hates snakes. Her birthday is in October but I always send her a giant present and she gives me mine at camp. I always try to be at camp on my birthday so that we can celebrate with each other.

“Snap out of it Lottie.” she said, “Grab your bag and let’s go in.”

We both stepped into our new cabin; it was about the size of my bedroom at home. There was two bunk beds - one along each side - a table at the far end and a light barely hanging from the ceiling. In the daylight we could see everything perfectly, but it was starting to get dark so I switched the light on. As soon as I did, I wished I hadn’t. Lexi turned and mimed gagging on the floor. There was bird poop and who knows what other crap in a big pile on the floor.

I shrugged it off and climbed onto the top of the bunk bed on the right - claiming it as mine to all who dared passing through the doorway. Lexi stuck her tongue out at me before dropping her bag on the bottom bunk and walking away to look for a mop.

I started grabbing the stuff I needed out of my bag and dumped it in a pile beside where my feet would go. I pulled my sleeping bag out and unrolled it. Then I shook out my pillow and leaned back with a book to pass the time until one of the leaders came and yelled at us.

I stopped reading almost instantly when our roommates walked in. Lindsey Martins and Joy Griffith: my worst enemy and her best friend. I gritted my teeth and tried to act natural. With her long light brown hair and sparkly blue eyes, Lindsey Martins just pissed me off to no end. And Joy Griffith wasn’t that bad, just got into the wrong crowd. She was shorter than me with short brown hair and gray eyes. She pissed Lexi off, I know.

“Joy, you have the top bunk, I want the bottom.” announced Lindsey.

Joy sighed and tried to throw her smaller bag onto the bed. I felt a little bad for her so I jumped down and l lifted the bag into her bunk. She mumbled a thank you and then dragged her other bag into the corner. Lindsey on the other hand stood there with her hands on her hips and a glare in her eyes.

“Charlotte,” she smirked, “How good to see you.”

“It’s Charlie.” I snapped.

Only my parents call me Charlotte. Everyone else call me Charlie with the exception of Lexi who refuses to call me anything but Lottie. Gets on my nerves, and she knows it.

“I was only trying to be friendly.” she laughed lightly, “Don’t have to go all defensive on me.”

“Come on Lottie.” said Lexi as she appeared from outside, “Campfire time.”

I grabbed my sweater and my backpack and followed Lexi outside.

“Thanks.” I said.

“No problem.” she said. Then she giggled, “Let’s go get marshmallows.”

“You know how I like my marshmallows.” I agreed.

“And you know how I love my chocolaté.” she said with an accent.

We linked arms and joined the campfire in all its glory. Lexi found a rotting log for us to sit on and then disappeared into the swarm to go find marshmallows and chocolate. I sat down and saved her a seat for when she came back. Pulling my sweater on, I looked around for anybody else I knew. I saw a couple I might have known, but nobody seriously familiar.

Lexi came back with the marshmallows and chocolate, and we started to eat. The leaders started to get everybody singing and camp got settled into routine. A couple kids ran off to bring the hotdogs and buns back and a couple more disappeared into the woods to do who knows what. Somebody threw another log on the fire and the sparks flew up into the night sky.

“Hey!” one of the leaders shouted, “Listen up!”

Everyone started to quiet and turned their heads towards the leader.

“My name is Splat.” she said, “What do you say?”

“Hello Splat!” we all yelled.

“We’re going to sing some camp songs.” she yelled, “Let’s sing our Kalahoho’s song.”

As the opening chords started, everyone sung along. I relaxed slightly and ate the marshmallows in my hand. Another year at camp and I couldn’t be happier. Nothing could ruin my mood.

That was five days ago.

Things are a bit different now.

The voting for the paintball game has started.

And my name is appearing on the ballots.

It’s Lindsey Martins doing, I know it. That girl is pure evil. She’s probably trying to get back at me for the whole pasta incident. I didn’t mean to throw pasta in her hair, it just happened. And as payback she’s telling everyone to vote for me. If I do manage to get into that game, I’m going to win - just so I can laugh in her face.

It’s Friday night. The games start on Sunday.