Chapter 4 (written by 'crazybookworm123')

Chapter 4

Lexi and I decided that we were going to name the rock pile, Meetings Peek.

I started to sketch out a map on my notepad. I labeled Meetings Peek on it and waited for the boys to tell me about any other important landmarks. Apparently there was a supply shed about two miles away from the rock pile. Drew had picked up a tent and a duffel bag of extra ammo. That was where he had been when we meet Jay. Jay was carrying the duffel, draped over his shoulders like it was no big deal.

“We can go back there later to get more supplies,” Drew told us. “But it’s pretty heavily guarded. What’s that girls’ name. Lindsey Martins. She has about five girls following her. I only recognized three of them. The other two were younger. 14 or so.” at our blank stares he continued. “She chased me out of there. It’s their territory now.”

I drew a big circle around the supply shed and inside it wrote Lindsey.

“Anything else?” I asked.

Jay walked over to where I was walking and looked down at the map. He traced something along the middle. I drew a faint line where his fingers went.

“That’s the harbour,” he explained. “And just about here,” he jabbed his finger down about halfway across the line, “Is the park.”

“How far is that?” questioned Lexi.

The distance didn’t look very far on the paper but I imagined to would take up to a day of walking to reach it. Through trees and over hills with only a little water left in their water bottles.

“We have to find water first,” I argued. “Pinky said that there were several wells and hand pumps with clean water. We have to find one.”

“Agreed.” Drew said. “We just have to look around as we go. Let’s cover two sides. Wait a second…”

He stopped to reach into his bag for something. He pulled out a pair of walkie-talkies and passed one to me. He stuck the other one in his belt.

“You and Jay can cover the right side and Lexi and I will go this way. That way we’ll cover more ground,” he explained.

I narrowed my eyes. I don’t think Drew realized it but he was splitting Lexi and I, and sending us off with someone that could easily shot us down. They would be in the running for the giant trophy if they did. Lexi glanced at me and wrapped her fingers around the paintball gun at her leg. She nodded ever so slightly, that I don’t think even Drew standing next to her noticed.

“Sure,” I agreed.

“Tell us if you see anything weird or water related,” continued Jay.

Drew nodded and him and Lexi disappeared into the woods on our left. Jay and I moved our path ever so slightly to the right and continued walking. I closed my sketchbook and stuck in back in my backpack along with the pencil. Jay started humming quietly. Is that….

“Are you humming Justin Bieber?” I questioned.

“No,” he answered.

“You totally were,” I insisted.

“I deny everything,” muttered Jay.

“You lying bastard,” I continued. “You were completely and totally humming Justin Bieber.”

“Was not,” he argued.

“Totally was,” I stuck my tongue out at him.

“I don’t think I want to be paired up with you anymore,” he mumbled.