Chapter Three {A Brother's Devotion}

Start from the beginning

"That's Sora?" I was in shock. Orihime had told me many stories about him and what an amazing brother he was to her and how he raised her after their parents abandoned them. He was a kind man with a caring nature towards others. This was not the man I was told of many times before. There was no man fighting in that room with Ichigo, only a monster.

"Yes, it is; It seems that another hollow sent him here to come after the two of you. When he couldn't get Ichigo, he came after his sister not knowing that you would be there." She stopped for a moment, gathering her thoughts, "Since I've known you your control of your spirit energy has improved greatly. How?" I didn't really know the answer to that myself.

"I suppose after I learnt that Ichigo and I were being hunted by the hollows, I knew I needed to take extra precautions. I don't know how but I just made it less visible to others by thinking about it. It comes with a lot of practise too," I mumble to last part under my breath and luckily for me she doesn't catch that.

"Why did you increase your spiritual pressure today if you can control it now? It could have attracted a lot of hollows by the amount you released." Agitation was bubbling within me at the sudden interrogation.

"That is something I'm not willing to tell you at the moment," I snapped. Our conversation abruptly interrupted by Ichigo slamming into the ground in front of us. "Ichigo!" I raced over to him despite the fact that Rukia hadn't finished healing me yet. I ignored the pain and made my way to the groaning reaper who was struggling to get up. "Are you hurt Ichigo?" It was as stupid question and I was aware of that. Of course he was hurt; he just fell nearly three stories.

"I'll be fine," he replied as he struggled to stand.

"Good because you have to defeat this hollow. Don't let his identity cause you to hesitate Ichigo, because that isn't him anymore." Despite my confident tone, by face found the ground rather interesting.

"Don't worry about me just go get yourself fixed up; you're still a wreck." He jumped back up to the apartment and continued his fight. I hobbled over to Rukia again and sat down.

"How is he going to do this? He's only had a couple of battles before," I muttered mostly to myself.

"He's strong. Despite being under experienced, he has the will to do this to protect Orihime, Tatsuki and you. He can do this." I turned straight to Rukia who had turned her attention back to the fight.

"She's right; how could I have doubted him? He's always been good at fighting with the people who attack him. It's kind of sad how they pick fights with him just for his hair colour. He's never lost a fight; he does sometimes need help, but he never gives up especially when it comes to protecting someone. That's what his name means after all; Number One Protector."

His speech about being a brother was emotionally moving; I hadn't noticed the soft smile appearing on my face. He was right with every word and I become somewhat depressed that I had no siblings to look up to. After his speech and without warning, the hollow lost control and started ramming his head into the wall.

"What is this?" Rukia and I asked in unison. We looked at each other a second before the hollow came back to his senses.

"Orihime is mine!" it screamed, charging at Ichigo without any warning. Ichigo raised is Zanpakuto just in time to block it.

"Orihime doesn't belong to anyone and least of all to you." After some effort, Ichigo slammed his head away. He gained an advantage while floating above the hollow.

His name escaped my lips as I watched on in suspense.

"Finish it off Ichigo otherwise it will come after all of us." Rukia tried to persuade Ichigo to strike the finishing blow. When he came to his senses, the hollow that flew underneath him spits an acid at his hands, sending him and his Zanpakuto to the ground. Without giving Ichigo a chance the recover, the hollow rushed at his struggling form causing me to scream. I look away when I hear the hollow's teeth crunched down on something. I take a slow look and my mouth hung open in shock. Orihime had taken the blow; the hollow's teeth biting onto her shoulder.