[5] First Glances

First Glances

                LENNA STANDS UNDER A bamboo archway in her uncle's assiduously tended garden, breathing in the crisp autumn air. Her eyes are closed. In the hullabaloo of everything that has happened, her mind is at ease for once. But as she begins dwelling on the oddity of that fact, she again feels the unease she has felt the whole week––since the moment she agreed for Frederick D'Souza to be her guardian. Pinpricking one moment, subtle as a stray hair the next, but still, very much there.

                She can still leave. Nine days has been more than enough for her to see how diligently Frederick performed his duty. All contrived diligence, she thinks. The will is just a ruse. She knows that much. He agreed to take her in for some other purpose. But just how nefarious the purpose, if nefarious at all, Lenna is still debating.

                A high-pitched squeal and an “Oof!” followed by a “You complete arse! I'm so going to get you for that!” jolts Lenna from her debate. She opens her eyes just in time to see a bright haired woman lying flat on her stomach on a had-been pile of leaves.

                “Oh yeah?” says a shrill voice, “and do what?” The voice belongs to––Lenna squints.

                “Nadia?” she calls softly, “could you please come here?”

                The woman scrambles to her feet, her stance defiant. “This!” she yells and lunges forward, scooping up as many leaves as she can and dumping them on the boy. Well, man.

                “Yes, love, what is it?” calls Nadia. Lenna hears the rustle of silk, followed by brisk, sharp footsteps.

                “What the fuck! Mate, get over here! Your bitch needs some controlling!”

                The woman stops laughing. “Hey! Who're you calling a bitch, you sanctimonious twat?” Lenna feels Nadia's shoulder gently brush hers.

                “Oooh, sanctimonious. Look at me, I'm so smart! No, I may not have completed even my GCSEs, but who cares when I've swallowed Oxford's English Dictionary!”

                “Oh, go suck a cock. I'm plenty smart. A bloody test doesn't define me.”

                “No, just your bloody lyrics do.”

                “Fuck you, you enjoy our lyrics!”

                “That's irrelevant. And they're not your lyrics. In case you've forgotten, you're still lagging in that department!”

                “Yes,” says Lenna, her eyes still trained on the dangerously ensuing battle of wits between Frederick D'Souza's neighbors, “when I thought Uncle Frederick was a millionaire, I didn't think that necessarily meant living next to London's hottest celebrities.”

                “Ah. Well . . . it does. It also means that your uncle is a first-rate bastard. I thought he would've at least told you this.” Nadia makes a noncommittal click with her tongue. “I should've known.”

                “What?” says Lenna.

                A blink of hesitance, and then Nadia replies, “What?”

                Lenna glances at her shortly. “You should've known what?”

                Nadia's mouth turns stolid, but her eyes glisten timorously. Then she smiles. The act is so sudden, so spurious. . . . Lenna knows it can only be the preamble to a lie. “Oh!” says Nadia with a practiced shake of her head. “I should've known that I was going to be neighbors with Zayn Malik six months ago––that was before Frederick employed me. . . . I'm quite sure my excitement would've quadrupled!––not that I was excited to begin with––I . . . no offense, but your uncle isn't exactly a looker. . . . Of course now, I'm so desperate for my paycheck––his looks don't make any difference! I mean, I'm paid 180 pounds extra for every shag. . . . 360 if they're consecutive!”