Chapter 1 - Plans and Chocolate Ice cream

Preface  

As I stared into the distance, a wash of memories came over me. Scott, Sapphire, Isabel...they all just seemed like names now, I had no connection to them. But I just have one question for you: what would you do if the one person you love, was stolen from you, and took your heart along with them?  

Chapter 1 - Plans and Chocolate Ice Cream  

"So, Scott," I started. "What are your plans for this year?" It was the last day before school started, and my best friend Scott and I were in the backyard enjoying the beautiful summer evening. Okay, so my best friend is a guy? It's fine. So what if sometimes I need a girl to talk about my "girl" problems to? My best girl-friend Isabel was there for that.  

"My plans?" he questioned.  

"Yes, Scott, your plans."  

"Well, I want to try to get on the honour roll. Or get into competitive swimming..." he stared off into space.  

"Scott!"  

"Oh, uh, yeah Alex?"  

"You do know we have a whole year do wrap our minds around what we really want."  

"Yes...what are you getting to?" he inquired. He studied my face for a second; staring into my brown eyes. I stared back into his rich pools of colour. If only...if only I could tell him how I really felt about him; how I got lost in his chestnut eyes, swooned at the sight of him jogging down the block to meet me...  

"Umm, Alex what are you staring at?" He glanced in the direction of my gaze.  

"Oh, uh, I saw some blue jays there a second ago..." I fibbed.  

"Aw, man! I can't believe I missed that! Maybe they'll come back!" I sighed. For someone who was going into grade 10, he sure was childish. And speaking of childish...  

"Hey, do you kids want some ice cream?" My Dad hollered from the window.  

"Yah, sure Mr. G," Scott said, and shined a brilliant smile. I sighed again. What a suck up.  

"For the thousandth time, Scotty, call my Kenny!" I rolled my eyes. Scotty? Was he serious? My Dad was always trying to be cool - and always failing.  

"Right on, Kenny." Scott said, and winked. I playfully punched him in the shoulder for being so annoyingly polite.  

"Okay, two double chocolate scoops coming right up!" My Dad said and finally slipped into the kitchen.  

"So, Alex, what are your plans for this year?" Scott asked.  

"Well, I want to try to get on the honour roll too, or get into the popular group." I replied.  

"The popular group?"  

"What? You don't think I'd fit in?"  

"No, I just think you're so much better than them."  

"You really think so?"  

"Yah, sure I do."  

"You know Scott, I always wanted to tell you that -"  

"Ice-cream!" My Dad announced, cutting me off.  

"Darn!" I muttered under my breath. Since I started liking Scott I've always tried to tell him, but there has always been some kind of interruption.  

"Okay, you kids have fun now; enjoy your ice-cream!" My dad said, slipping away into the shadows of our house.  

"So, what was that you wanted to tell me?" Scott questioned curiously.  

"Oh, I just always wanted to tell you, um, that, your pants are too small." I chickened out.  

"Aw man! These are my favourite pair; I just got them last week! Oh well, I must've grown out of them pretty quickly." Scott complained. I breathed a sigh of relief that Scott believed my lie; well, my half lie, his pants were kind of short. I can't believe that I chickened out on that perfect moment I got to tell Scott the truth. I sighed again as I realized that I couldn't run from this forever. Sooner or later I'm going to half to tell him the truth. As I stared into his eyes, a part of me said that he liked me back; but I wasn't sure.  

"Are you going to eat your ice-cream, or can I have it?" He motioned towards my melting pool of chocolate.  

"Oh, yah I'm going to eat it, as soon as I do this!" I splattered a splotch of chocolate on his nose.  

"Hey! What was that for?" He returned the favour by smearing some on my cheek.  

"Oh, it's on now!" And like five-year-olds, we sat there smearing chocolate on each other. That's how I thought this year was going to be perfect.

_______________________________________________________________

okay guys so i just changed their grade from 8 to 10. Just saying it felt  a little wierd having them in grade eight....:P