Chapter 2: Karma: The Origin

Start from the beginning

"Mom, its katsudon, eating it is always my mood." He retorted. His mom always knew how to get his attention.

"I know." She replied with a smile. "Well, I'm going now. Text me if you're going out today, okay? I think I'll be out the entire day." his mom said and patted his head one more time before heading out of his room.

***

Izuku didn't notice that he fell asleep again after talking to his mother.

He woke up thirty minutes after and found himself alone in their almost empty house. He took his time walking towards the kitchen. He'll miss this house. After all, he spent most of his life here, voluntarily and involuntarily. He took twice as long as the necessary to reheat his food. And likewise, on eating it.

After washing the dishes, Izuku went back to his room and seated himself in his desk chair. At his desk rests the old photo he found the day before.

"Ancestral house.. huh," he said out loud to no one in particular.

Other than asking his father about the house, Izuku has another plan for the picture. He wants to do some experiments on his quirk.

Izuku's quirk was extremely rare to a point where a lot people thought it was just a legend. He was even the only one alive in the country as per records. It's remotely related to his parents or any of his relatives. It made his parents worried that they consulted a physician for some explanation. But unfortunately, the only logical explanation to it was evolution through mutations. Researchers have found that mutations, though rare, are occurring starting on fifth generation of quirk users. And the mutation gets more complicated in the succeeding generations.

Another proof of the mutation is that his quirk manifested late. Unlike other kids who manifested it at the age of four, Izuku hadn't until six years later.

All those years he already accepted he was quirkless, especially that he has two toe joints. The society silently treated him as an outcast, an abnormality in the society. At the age of four, Izuku learned that the world is unfair.

But, if it weren't for the trauma of his family dying, Izuku would never found out that he has a quirk.

It was after they dine out for his tenth birthday. They were on their way home when a truck from the opposite direction seems to lose control. The truck and the car they were in was only a few meters away from colliding when a portal appeared in front of them and transported them to the street in front of their house. It baffled his parents at first, but eventually figured it all out when they found Izuku passed out at back seat.

He was thankful of course. Even though he's been convincing himself that a quirk is not necessary on becoming a hero, having one would be a great help. Even if it was a rare quirk that the only reference he has about it had been fiction novels and comics.

Izuku became a hero and quirk otaku to supply his lack of reference. He's been studying different quirks to find out what he was missing. And who would be a better reference than those heroes who were free to use their quirks in public? He's already been doing quirk analysis before his quirk manifested, and now he has more purpose to do so. Bullies picked him because of this, but it's the only way he knew.

Up to this point, after more than two years of analysis and experimenting, he only had a few observations about his quirk. First, he could only make one at a time (bummer). Second, he can only make one to somewhere he'd been. Third, the portal is fuel by his stamina and its consumption on depends on how long the portal was open and how many living things he let pass to the other side. Fourth, transporting living things with his quirk is a pain in the ass. A boulder with a size of a truck? No problem. A family of three? The portal closes at once, and he won't be able to make one after an hour.