Chapter 1: Karma: Present time

Start from the beginning

Nedzu hummed at the President's explanation like he totally got it now.

Shouta's agitation morphed into something ugly. Normally he is a man of indifference, but the feeling of being the only one who doesn't get the whole exchange of information leaves a bad taste on his tongue.

He was in the middle of snapping when the president talked.

"Having a prominent lineage, some kind of teleportation quirk, and data that mostly my team only possesses, we arrived at one conclusion..." the president lost his voice like it physically hurts for him to continue talking right now.

"Karma is Izuku Midoriya, your son. Am I right Mr. President?" Nedzu continued where the president ended.

"my son has been acting weird this past year, I am sure he's hiding something" the plangent gentleman supplied.

Dead silence then followed.

The silence was only cut by Shouta snapping the pen he was holding. This is gonna be a long month for him.

***

"Denki, I think we should have to lie low from the radar for the meantime." Izuku confided his friend.

They are hanging at their hideout right now. Sitting cross-legged on the floor. A tree house in a secluded park that maybe only got two to three visitors every week. It was a perfect hangout for someone planning some notorious things like himself. The grave silence helps him think about things.

"No shit, man." His blonde friend replied. "After that shit they pulled out the last encounter! I didn't expect the police can catch up to our pattern that fast, it's just barely a year!" he complained.

"Plus we're going to high school", he complained further. "Unlike you, I need to study if I want to go to Yuuei".

Izuku nodded in agreement. Though he earned an annoyed glare because he was confirming his friend's shortcomings.

Denki was right, Izuku also didn't expect the police to catch up with their pattern that fast. After his first act, which went miraculously well for a first act, Izuku methodically spent months planning his succeeding acts. He even swallowed his pride and diligently courted potential allies to help him.

It's been almost a year since the second act, and honestly, Izuku didn't expect their active operations to last this long. It's not because he anticipated apprehension, but he expects that those crocodiles, as they call those corrupt officials, would cower and abandon their greedy operations. Izuku meticulously picked which crocodiles to catch and how to roast them. The kind of acts that he thought would serve as powerful warnings to those bastards and send them running with their tails between their legs.

But Izuku thought wrong. If anything, the acts only made those bastards angrier and more desperate to get rid of him. They even hire villains. Izuku was lucky that his disguise was witty enough and family connections are powerful enough to protect him and survive this long.

The last straw though was the last encounter.

Izuku miscalculated the number of undercover agents the police spared for his capture. Damn, those bastards really made sure his capture was the top priority for the police force then. And the police may also have assumed, they were right though, that he has spies among them.

Izuku learned his lesson not to underestimate the police force under pressure.

And then there's high school and also Yuuei.

"Mumbling Alert!" Denki announced. Damn, Izuku really can't control his mumblings when he's stressed. It's a miracle his acts were not busted by his constant mumbling.

"sorry Denki, I was just thinking..." Izuku trailed off, purposely, to have some dramatic effect. Denki's really rubbing off on him, he got a little extra nowadays.

"I'm listening, Izuku" his friend replied, eyebrows raised due to interest.

Izuku is really lucky to have Denki as a friend and an accomplice. He didn't expect to see someone about his age lurk on the darker side of the capital. Denki's father was a well-known information broker in the black market. Denki's just happened to be there when Izuku talked to his dad for some information for his first act. Of course, being a scrawny middle-schooler, he was immediately shrugged off by the broker. He was then forced to recite his family tree up to the deepest roots and declared that he will continue and uphold his family's legacy.

He even made a bet with Denki's father. Like literally, a million-dollar worth bet.

After the broker agreed with the bet. The cheerful blonde with a dark streak on his bangs that resembles a lightning bolt followed him on his way out.

"That was cool man." Denki said finally after trailing Izuku for a few minutes. "You really made my dad and his minions speechless by your declaration. You have guts. I want to be your friend."

Then the rest was history.

"you're mumbling again" Denki's slightly annoyed tone stopped Izuku from his mumbling. He forgot he has a grand plan to announce.

"Sorry" Izuku apologized sheepishly then straighten his posture to add effects to his declaration.

"As I was saying, I was thinking we should do a jaw-dropping act before we lie low for a few years for high school." He finally said.

"And?" Denki urges him to continue.

"And..."

Another pause for dramatic effect.

"I have a perfect idea which crocodile to catch."