||. CHAPTER 5: SA'NE .||

Start from the beginning

"Now, it is your turn to pay up." President Mc. Conner spoke facing the young girl.

She nodded as she brushed her hair backwards, eyeing her father who was already chuckling and giggling, humming a melody on his own, a melody so soft, yet if it was put on a speaker, it would sound as if he was crying, asking for help in this merciless universe.

"Sirens," Rachael started. "They are mostly females. Dangerous and deadly to the men who ventured into their territory. They are undeniable the creatures of myths and legends, but now, we are talking about a new planet, a whole new level of survival species, who might have evolved throughout the years. Not forgetting in space. They sing songs so soft and melodious that it would lure men to their death bed. Strong or weak, all men are drawn to their beauty and voice. Unless, if you are beneficial to them, they will let you off, not without drowning you in their music. Like what they did to my father."

Jonathan chuckled as he stared at Rachael with unbelievable eyes. "You are talking about fantasy. There isn't a proof about it. Father, you can't possibly believe her!" Jonathan scoffed.

"Shut up, Jonathan!" President Mc. Conner barked as he looked towards Rachael. "I will send a team to Planet 14 again. If you say they attract males, why don't I send females?"

Rachael chuckled. "They will not appear if there isn't someone who interests them. This isn't a diplomatic play, Mr. President. Whoever started this, started a tug of war game with them."

"Excuse me," President Mc. Conner started, "Are you saying that I am the cause of it?"

"Sirens don't let anyone survive usually. If they could, then it is a sign they wanted something. Returning back empty handed, will start a war. Remember, Mr. President, you are not dealing with just humans anymore. You are dealing with a whole new level of beings. Space Sirens, I could call for now." Rachael stated.

President Mc. Conner turned towards his assistant who had recorded everything down. The Research Department doesn't seem to be doing any progress either way, so all he had to do now is depend on both the Halton siblings. Arthur could assist Rachael in their next expedition to Planet 14, but that would not seem right to send the both of them back towards Planet 14. He brushed his white hair nervously as he looked out towards Stefan who was already walking towards the window, his grey eyes studying the stars, humming a soft melody in his mind.

"There is no way back." Stefan started as his fingers clicked on the glass. "No way back unless you are sa'ne." He giggled and hummed a soft melody from his lips again.

Glancing at the man and back towards the two siblings, he breathed out a sigh. "Your father will stay with the Research Department. Rules as usual, Arthur you are not allowed to be in charge of this case. Rachael, we will refer back to you about the sirens soon enough."

"I am not giving out anything else." Rachael stated clearly. "It is me and my brother who should demand answers, since you are the one who have sent my father out to Planet 14 without our concern. We are the ones who should be making the demand, not the supply. Assuming that we are done here, can we take our leave?"

President Mc. Conner nodded, waving his hands as he motioned for the guards to let them to pass. However, just as Rachael took a step forward, Stefan ran frantically towards both his children like a lost man, tightening his grip on their waist mumbling words unknown to them. Arthur reached out as he soothed his father, assuring him that he would make sure all this will be sorted out soon. Stefan yelled at the President, blaming him for their separation as he cursed him wildly with gibberish unknown languages. Rachael felt her hair stood up at the inhumane voice of her father's.

"All shall fall, and none shall survive in these lands of red. We shall conquer again." Stefan muttered. 

"Appa," Arthur called out gently as he looked towards his father. "I promise you. Rachael and I both are going to get you out of here. We will. Just give us more time."

Stefan giggled. "Remember. Love is love."

Once the guards ushered both Arthur and Rachael out, Stefan slumped down on the ground helplessly, his fingers dug in between his hair as he stared at the President who was muttering something towards his assistant. Captain Chen reached out, pulling the man in his arms as he guided him towards the chair. Stefan was picking on his own fingernails as he bit them bit by bit and giggled, humming the melody all over again.

Stefan giggled as he laughed, his cackles filled the room.

Shivers ran down Jonathan's spine as he took a glance towards his own father who was assuring his assistant about some process. Somewhere in between those grey eyes, Jonathan saw something painful and suffering. He looked up towards his father and headed towards him when Captain Chen left the place.

"You are allowing Rachael to go to the mission? Like for real? You do not know her, she..."

"Do I look like I have a choice? Name me someone who once mastered in mythology and historical beings?" President Mc. Conner challenged.

"We could..."

"This is her benefit. Don't mess with her. I need her to solve this problem. I have checked through the records of all inhabitants of Mars, she is the only one with such... illogical knowledge."

"It is illogical. Father, we are working for science, but now you believe that these sirens are the one who cause it? We can just put the blame on her father, saying that he is mad and killed his crew." Jonathan suggested.

"If only things were that easy, my son. We cannot afford any leakage." President Mc. Conner breathed in as he stared out in the space.