Chapter Nine: New Beginnings

As Esther walked to Almanzo's house, she felt that everything had finally fallen into place. She and Willie were now seeing each other everyday after school, and she would help him in the restaurant. No one else knew about this, so it was to be kept a secret for the time being. Willie would have supper with her a night, so that she wasn't alone and so that his folks didn't ask him questions.

As Esther approached Almanzo's land, she noticed that it was a little different than the last time she was there. In the place of the big white house that had been there, there was a small wooden house. It was so quaint and welcoming. Esther knocked on the door and it opened. It was Laura.

"Yes," she said with a friendly smile.

"Hello, Laura," Esther said with excitement. "Do you know me?"

Laura started to shake her head. "I don't- Oh! Esther, is that really you?"

"The one and only," she replied as they hugged. "Oh! It feels wonderful to be back."

The two were overjoyed. They both had to sit for a moment to regain their breath from their happiness and laughter.

"When did you get to town?" Laura asked.

"You walked right past me Monday at school," Esther replied, covering her mouth as she giggled. "You didn't even recognize me!"

Laura smiled "Why didn't you come to see us sooner?"

"I wanted to surprise you the first day, but..." Esther was hesitant as she said this. "I had school, and I'm trying to work to pay off my room rent. Not to mention I have to wait for Willie to finish studying so that I can use his books."

Laura raised an eyebrow, but her smile grew. This was a very happy reunion for the both of them. A moment later there was the sound of a baby's cry. Laura stood and went into the other room, returning promptly with the baby in her arms.

"This is Rose," she said, introducing her daughter. "How long can you stay? Manly should be back in a little while. He went to get the horses from their picket-lines. He will be thrilled to know you're here."

"I can wait," Esther replied, smiling at Rose. "She has the Wilder stubbornness, I see. And she is much like Manzo."

Laura smiled as she tried to sooth the baby. Esther sighed and looked at her hands.

"You should know that I came on my own accord," she explained, looking back at Laura. "I haven't seen my parents much since they've decided to go travel Europe. Our poor housekeeper got tired of me, I suppose."

The door opened and Almanzo walked in. His sun-beat face was tired as he looked at Esther with confusion.

"Can you put a name to my face?" Esther asked in challenge as she stood.

"By the looks of things," Almanzo replied, narrowing his eyes as he examined her. "You're a Wilder...."

"'Supper at the Oleson's? You're brave.'" Esther quoted what he had once told her, so long ago when she went to dine with Willie and his family for the first time.

Almanzo smiled "Esther Wilder!" he said as he embraced her in a tight hug.

"Manzo," Esther said, struggling with laughter as she spoke. "You're cutting off my air supply."

"Sorry," he said and released her. "What are you doing here?"

"Breaking away from misery." She bit her lip and sat down again. "I've been here since Sunday night."

"Esther Wilder," Almanzo crossed his arms in mock seriousness. "I am appalled that you would be so cruel. You come back and don't come to see me the first day? I'm very much insulted!"